Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2013 05:00

Dell XPS 12 - Switch on Computer while lid is closed

I use my laptop as a normal desktop machine (with additional display and keyboard). Due to the fact that the computer is stored in a small slot below the desktop, I want to switch on the computer while the lid is completely closed. The new XPS 12 doesn't work that way, the lid must be lifted an inch or so. Any idea? Bios? Under power settings I can only determine what should happen when I close the lid, I found nothing to change the behave while turning on the computer. 

2 Posts

October 16th, 2013 05:00

I'm definitely concerned to see that this was posted in March and not answered.

I too am experiencing the issue above. In addition to this however, while the lid is closed and I'm using the external monitor, the mouse will disappear if it's stationary for a few seconds. It's almost as if the system enters a "presentation" mode and this is happening by design.  But I'm just trying to use an external monitor. 

If I open the lid however, the mouse issue goes away.  I checked to make sure my BIOS is up to date and it appears it is (A02). 

I'm using the Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station (uses DisplayLink hardware/drivers).  

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Thanks

October 16th, 2013 10:00

I called DELL hotline, their answer was "works as designed", no chance to change that. When I use the external monitor, the mouse doesn't disappear, it works fine. I use an USB mouse and kbd (LOGITECH MK320). If I open the lid, the display on the external monitor disappears, but that depends on the settings.   

2 Posts

October 17th, 2013 05:00

Are you using an external monitor connected to a USB dock?  Or is it connected to the "mini display port" connection?

The power button issue is definitely a problem.  I'm disappointed to hear that this was designed on purpose.  I suppose to prevent accidentally powering the device on while it was stowed.  But I wish there was an option to disable the feature at least.

October 17th, 2013 07:00

My display is connected to the "mini display port" through an HDMI adapter. The guys at DELL do not believe that anybody hides such a nice "tablet" under the table. I 100% agree that an option eg in the BIOS would be great, and it would cost nothing.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 08:00

We stuck at the same point now. We would like to buy XPS12 for all our sales, but when they are at the office for a few weeks and working with the docking station, I can't tell them they have to open the lid every day to turn on the device. They will definitly laugh at us.  :emotion-7:

1 Message

December 18th, 2013 01:00

I use the mini display port to HDMI when at home, but the onboard screen when travelling.

Dell: is there anyway to turn on the laptop without having to open the screen?

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 12:00

Only solution I can find is to flip the screen so it's facing outwards when you close the lid. This way you can use the power button while the lid is closed. Otherwise I can't really find any other way.

1 Message

August 30th, 2023 22:46

Just drill a hole through the screen so you can reach through and tap the power button with a pencil.

No Events found!