Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2012 16:00

Dell XPS 12 UltraBook Audio

I connect my Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook running Windows 8 into a Dell 2408W monitor's HDMI port using a mini display port to hdmi adapter, the one Dell sells.  The display is just fine but the audio does not come through the HDMI port to the speakers connected to the 2408W monitor.  The audio comes out of the XPS built in speakers.  

I can connect my AppleTV to the 2408W monitors HDMI port and the audio from the AppleTV  comes through the speakers connected tot the 2408W monitor just fine.

If I connect the Dell XPS 12 into a Panasonic flat panel TV's HDMI port, the audio comes from the TV just fine.

What am I missing?

240 Posts

December 19th, 2012 10:00

Hi randygibbs,

The mini display port does not convert audio signals; hence I would suggest you to connect the speakers directly to the laptop.

Please do get back to us for further assistance or information.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2012 11:00

Actually it does carry the audio when I am connected to a Panasonic Viera HD television using the StarTech.com MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Video Converter we purchased from Dell.

240 Posts

December 20th, 2012 09:00

Hi randygibbs,

In XPS system on the right hand corner below is a volume icon.

Right click on the icon and select sound.

Under sound go to play back option and check if you have HDMI option.

Select the HDMI option and click ok and see if it works.

5 Posts

December 20th, 2012 11:00

Thank you, however when connected to my Dell 2408W monitor there is no other option for sounds.  When connected to my Panasonic Viera, there is.  

240 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 05:00

Hi randygibbs,

I do request you to provide the service tag for system and the order number for the monitor on a private chat and I will get back to you on the status.

Below details will help you on how to send me a private chat.

I have added you as a friend.

Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘NIKHIL M ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well.

Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the service tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action.

You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2013 12:00

Hello RandyGibbs,

Did you get your problem solved? I have the same problem when connecting my XPS to my Yamaha AV receiver.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers,

Anomaly

10 Posts

May 15th, 2013 17:00

If I had known this before I bought the XPS 12 I would have never made the purchase.  What good is the HDMI if it doesn't support both video and audio?  I'm not a happy camper right now!  

5 Posts

May 16th, 2013 03:00

Hi Thistle3595,

I unfortunately did not get answers here but i have some hope for you...

I noticed that it depends on the HDMI cable... I tried 3 different cable (brand and length) and with 2 it works fine.. audio and video.... 3rd one only video.

Unfortunately the not working cable is my 10m HDMI cable which i bought exactly for this purpose.

Cheers,

Anomaly

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 16th, 2013 06:00

I unfortunately did not get answers here

Hi Anomaly. I'm sorry you didn't get answers here but did you look at the FAQs? The suggestion to try a different cable is in the 1st section of the HDMI Audio FAQ.

Anyway, thanks for posting your findings. I have taken the liberty of quoting you in the FAQ -- it's the last quotation at the end. I have some questions about the details of your setup compared to what randygibbs wrote. Thanks if you wouldn't mind clearing them up.

> Laptop is XPS 12 Ultrabook (9Q23)?

> Operating system is 8?

> You used a StarTech.com MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Video Converter ?

You said you connected to an A/V receiver and got video. So you passed the video signal through to a TV?

5 Posts

May 16th, 2013 12:00

Hi Jimbo,

No Problem....I use a

- XPS 13 (L332X)

- Windows 8 Pro

- LogiLink (Vesa 1.1a) MiniDisplay Port to HDMI converter (incl. audio)

- Output devices: A/V receiver --> TV

Cheers,

Anomaly

9 Posts

May 26th, 2013 22:00

@Anomaly - so did your Logilink send audio to your Yamaha receiver?

Anyone else successful in getting HDMI audio to a receiver through a mini displayport to HDMI adapter using an XPS 12 and if so, what adapter cable did you use?

In general, does anyone know why there is inconsistency with the audio transmission?

10 Posts

May 28th, 2013 08:00

Go to Monoprice.com and search the PID # 5969 and there you'll have what you need for $25.75 IIRC.  I ran into the same problem and was pulling out what little hair I have left and this fixes the video/audio issue.   Not sure why Dell isn't clearer on this issue but it is Dell that sent me this route although the folks they sent me to the adapter cost $75, which I thought was a bit high.  

Good luck,

Bill

5 Posts

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Hi Rahivor,

correct, I got it working with the Logilink adapter (about 8 €).

Make sure you are already using a HDMI 1.4 cable....

beside that I assume its maybe the length of the cable (in combination with the loss through the adapter) since only my 10m cable does not work when using the Laptop --> adapter --> HDMI cable --> A/V receiver setup.  But Laptop --> HDMI cable --> A/V receiver works.

Cheers,

Nils

9 Posts

May 30th, 2013 18:00

Thanks. Now did you buy this one:

http://www.logilink.eu/showproduct/CV0036A.htm

or this one:

http://www.logilink.org/showproduct/CV0041.htm?seticlanguage=en

I'm trying to confirm that since the xps 12 does not have a dual mode mini display port (DP++ logo is not noted next to the port, just the DP logo), you have to use the adapter with USB sound such as the one Thistle3595 recommends.

Thanks!

9 Posts

May 30th, 2013 19:00

Let me further clarify my statement about DP++  - can anyone confirm that DP++ has even anything to do with the audio output issue being discussed in this thread? I'm a little confused with some of the standards at this point.

No Events found!