Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 2nd, 2016 12:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 (2016) buzz when scrolling but only on battery. Any help?

Hello

i've got a brand new dell xps 13 9350 (2016 model) and i reainstalled clean windows 10 pro on it. All drivers are good and i've got this weird problem.

When AC is plugged in, everything works perfectly, no weird sounds. However as soon as i plug out the power, there is that buzzing sound when i scroll or do some acitons. I changed all three power plans (balanced, saver, performance), it's still the same, and i turned off c-states and intel speedstep in BIOS, still the same.

What could cause this issue, any option/driver? I really think it has something to do with the software, because when on AC it doesn't happen.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 15:00

Update: Hmmm as soon as my battery got full, it started buzzing on ac well. Now when i unplug ac it stops. This is driving me insane. Any hint?

3 Posts

August 11th, 2016 15:00

This also happens on the XPS 15 and the Inspiron 15.  I haven't found a solution - yet.  What touchpad and graphics adapters are in your model?

I've got the Elan smart-pad, Intel 530 & nVidia GTX-960M. 

12 Posts

October 7th, 2016 08:00

It happens to me also. It doesn't matter if it's plugged or not. It's a buzz related to the processor in some way... Even the movement of the mouse makes noise. Whatever thing that makes CPU work.... I called Dell support and they told me to reinstall the SO but this doesn't seem to me a solution as it doesn't seem a software problema... maybe it's a "feature" of this product!!!  I've found an entry in YouTube from a person that has the same issue and recorded it (www.youtube.com/watch ) . It's really annoying in quiet environments!!. Any idea would be very welcome.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2016 10:00

It is in some way processor related. The reason it goes away occasionally when on battery is due to your power saving settings. If you set the maximum power setting for the processor low enough, the noise stops (whether it's plugged in or not).  I tried updating the thermal drivers from Intel but that made no difference.

It's a little hard to believe that this issue has been around for years and yet I can find no indication that Dell has so much as acknowledged it let alone addressed it.

1 Message

October 30th, 2016 16:00

I have absolutely the same problem, this noise really annoying...

No Events found!