Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2017 20:00

Dell XPS 13 (9350) - AC Adapter Unknown, could I use USB Type-C charger instead?

My Dell XPS 13 has recently been unable to recognize my AC adapter. I've tried several outlets and chargers, but to no avail. Once I plug the charger into the laptop, the charging light on my Dell lights up for a second but turns off immediately after.

I am unable to get past the Dell SupportAssist and it seems to be an endless loop that won't allow me into my desktop. 

Would I be able to bypass the "AC Adapter Unknown" error by using Google's Pixel 2 charger? It would allow me to charge through Dell's USB-C port instead. Has anyone tried this method or has solved the issue in any other way?

Thanks for any help at all! 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 24th, 2017 11:00

The laptop will charge over USB-C, but you'd need a source that supported the USB Power Delivery spec and provided at least 45W in order to match the Dell AC adapter's output.  Most USB-C wall chargers on the market today intended for smartphones and tablets do not meet either of those criteria, but there are some chargers that do.  Anker makes a 45W and a 60W version, and I believe that while the XPS 13 doesn't REQUIRE more than 45W to operate properly, it can ACCEPT more if it's available and therefore charge the battery faster -- but I'm not sure about that.

489 Posts

August 24th, 2017 13:00

Also 20V is required, which most phone charges don't offer.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2017 04:00

SOLUTION for Dell XPS 13: I had the same messages AC adapter unknown(in BIOS), connected and not charging. Laptop was working OK. The small pin inside the adapter plug was touching another metal part inside plug. Just fixed that and all is working.

No Events found!