Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2017 00:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 Black Screen

I know the screen is working because I can access the BIOS on startup, and I can see the Dell Logo with the rotating dots when it begins the startup, but when it should be showing the Windows 10 login screen it's just black. I've tried typing my password to see if I get any feedback after logging in but nothing happened. Tried running the diagnostic test, nothing. Not sure if this is fixable or I'll have to get it fixed under warranty. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 6th, 2017 06:00

It seems there are several threads with your same symptoms.  I have seen a system delay with a black screen for up to 15 minutes prior to continuing into the Desktop.

If yours is taking longer than that, I would try an external monitor.  But after the 15 minutes I would try the sign-in trick and then use the keystrokes to shut the system down, just to see if it works.  Winkey+x, up arrow, up arrow, right arrow, down arrow, down arrow, enter.  Escape, escape resets the sequence.

I would try disabling Support Assistant in the Bios to see if the Windows 10 recovery would kick in, which normally happens after 3 failed boot attempts.

If you had a recovery drive or even install media you should be able to get into the repair options and use the Start Settings to try options, such as Safe Mode.

I don't remember seeing a solution to this, but there has been some prior experience so someone must know something about what went wrong.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You can also check your warranty status in the link below;

www.dell.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If I'm reading you correctly, you power on the system, you quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously but there wasn't no boot menu to run the diagnostic tool on the system?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" Not sure if this is fixable or I'll have to get it fixed under warranty ". 

:emotion-2:

If you aren't able to run the Diagnostic tool (F12 key) on the system, I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link below. Hopefully one of the Dell reps here on this forum see the thread and speed things up for you.

Contact Information | Dell US

March 6th, 2017 14:00

No, I can access the diagnostic tool and I ran it as well as the extra memory check diagnostics and it said there was nothing wrong when it finished.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2017 05:00

Please try to get the Recovery image to show up:

Power on system, wait about 5 minutes and then power off system using the hard reset / power button. Keep turning the computer on and off until you see your computer booting into the automatic repair screen. It should only take a few reboots.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If successful, click on Troubleshoot:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Advanced Options:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2017 06:00

After you created the windows 10 bootable drive:

1. Power on your computer,and wait about 5 minutes. Insert flash drive into USB port and then power off system.

2. Power computer on, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen 

3. At the boot menu, select your flash drive  under UEFI BOOT

4. Select your keyboard language.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

In Advanced Options, run Startup Repair. If that not successful, run System Restore. You can even try getting into safe mode with network - Startup Settings) or run Command Prompts and enter such commands as sfc/scannow or CHKDISK/R

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd suggest you click on 'Repairs Your Computer' or you can install windows 10 again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you aren't able to get the Recovery image to appears, I suggest you create a bootable windows USB flash drive. You'll have to use another computer to create one. Please follow instructions in the link below:

youtu.be/lJcXHZc8-So

3 Posts

June 11th, 2017 15:00

I have the exact same issue and wasted hours diagnosing the problem. If you try to connect an external monitor to the laptop, I am sure it will show the desktop screen. This is a hardware issue and not software related. Therefore, it's likely a loose connection. Some dell forum posts say to swivel the lid and open/close it several times. This worked for me, but I suspect that the issue will get worse over time.

I have a dual boot with linux and windows, where both operating system had the same black screen issue after initial boot. I came to the conclusion that it was related the lcd cable after swiveling the screen open and closed. This caused the screen to display again.

November 16th, 2017 16:00

I had the same issue with a 9343, except the problem is intermittent and non-consistent.

On one occasion, I had the black screen except the  boot up dell logo, it went black after bios. I tried to adjust the lid angle a bit, the login screen came back up when I lifted the laptop at an angle to the resting surface.

Problem is solved after reinstalling windows from scratch.

No Events found!