Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2016 21:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 - Microphone not working

Hi,

I have a new Dell XPS 13 9350 (only a few months old)... I noticed that the Microphone is not working in any applications I try.  I have gone through the Dell diagnostic as well as the Windows 10 diagnostics but nothing seems to fix the issue.

I am running the latest drivers (6.0.1.7737) from the Dell support web site.  

I have tried to remove the Realtek drivers and go with the native Windows 10 HD Audio Drivers.   This did appear to fix the issue, but then I updated the BIOS to 1.3.3 and now it doesn't work again.  Not sure if the BIOS update broke it or it was just a coincidence and it would have failed after a reboot anyway.  I may attempt to role back the bios and see what happens.

I don't believe it is a hardware issue as I have seen the mic working fine with the Windows 10 drivers.

Has anyone else seen this problem or have a solution?

The problem is I don't know if the MIc was working from the beginning.  The day I got the laptop I update the drivers from the website right away.  I work in IT and always like to have the latest drivers. 

1 Message

June 4th, 2016 06:00

I have a similar issue running the same latest drivers.  From a cold boot the microphone doesn't work (if I go into Sound/Recording the microphone levels are absent and the dialogue box hangs). If I cold boot then Restart the microphone works fine.  Not a great solution but it seems to work every time.  Any solution to get the microphone working from the initial cold boot would be appreciated!

2 Posts

June 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi

I think resolved my problem.  I noticed whenever I clicked on the mouse pad the mic would work.   As soon as the click stopped the mic stopped working.  This got me thinking it was a hardware issue.  So I gave a firm press all along the front of the laptop.  Ever since then the mic has been working fine.  I can only assume there was a loose connector and by pushing it popped it into place.  Time will tell if it is fixed.  I am still under warranty so will keep an eye on it.

No Events found!