Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 2nd, 2017 13:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 battery charging to only 80%

Hello all, I just purchased a 9350, win 10 Pro , 4GB ram, 128 SSD. I noticed that the Battery Icon would stop charging at 80%. Shows Connected , not charging at the 80% mark. I have read on the Forums about this being an issue on this 9350! SEEMS TO ME THAT THE BATTERY SHOULD ALWAYS CHARGE UP TO 100%!

So I innstalled the latest 9350 Bios and Power management drivers updates from the Dell seb site.

I thought that would correct the issue but it didnt!

Dell XPS 13 9350 battery cstill stops charging at 80%!!!

I performed the Dell ePSA F12 Diagnostic tests and the battery results are as follows.

Charge cycles 13

Battery Health 93%

Voltage 8420 millivolts, current 2717 ma. 

I have also read that after some 9350 owners replaced the battery they were still haveing the issue of the battery not charging to 100%.

Anyone have the same experiences?

Thanks

Rob

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 17:00

Some people change settings to Standard to get the battery to charge to 100%. Now, if the computer is plugged into an external power source most of the times, I suggest you set it to Primary AC.  

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../dell-command-power-manager-v2.2_User's Guide_en-us.pdf

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the Battery health listed as Excellent in Power Manager Lite app then there should be any worry about the battery failing in the near future:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please read the battery settings below:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming you installed the latest version of Dell Command | Power Manager (System Utilities) from your Dell Product Support page.....

The battery stop charging at 80% because of the battery settings. Some of the battery settings prevent 100% charge to help extend battery life. Please right click the battery icon, select Dell Command | Power manager, and then Change Settings:

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

September 2nd, 2017 19:00

Hello LSUFAN51, many thanks for the fast reply and all of the information.

And I am an Alabama FAN !!! Hope that doesn’t change things!!!!

This message is in regard to your messages about the 9350 only charging battery to 80%

I want onto the Dell support site for the 9350 and found the Power management ver .  2.1.1

I then did a google search and found a later newer version then on the dell support 9350 web site the newer version supports the 9350 and the version number is 2.2.1

So I do have the latest Power Management Version installed; here is what the battery info looks like.

Also your second post “please read the battery settings below:

I have the battery set to STANDARD.  By the way your info is out of date as there is NO EXPRESSCHARGE listed!

I noticed after the full charge at 78 to 80% the front panel white charging light blinks on and off. While I am looking at the above image the status changes to charging to not charging.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

1 Message

September 3rd, 2017 15:00

I am actually having the exact same issue with a Dell XPS 13 9343. Doesnt matter what power plan the computer is set to, it will not charge past 80%.

- Updated BIOS (Latest version came out ~ a week ago)

- Updated Power Management Software.

- Updated Chipset Drivers.

I even set a custom power plan to not stop charging until 95%, computer still stopped @ 80%.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 17:00

Hi Agent51950

Please select Choose A Diagnostic Test in the link below and then run a custom test on the battery.

Support for XPS 13 9343 | Diagnostics | Dell US

By the way, how old is the computer / battery ? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 18:00

After you run the custom test on the battery and it's okay, I suggest you try the troubleshoot steps below:

1. Remove the AC adapter from the system.

2. Right click the windows logo |  Device Manager I Batteries I "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery" right click and uninstall it. On the Device Manager Taskbar, select Action and then Scan For Hardware Changes.

.Replace AC adapter, hopefully battery charge to 100%

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 4th, 2017 08:00

Deleted...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Hi rob360

Since the computer is brand new, I'd suggest you contact Dell Technical Support in the link below.

Contact Information | Dell US

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

Hello thanks for the added task to fix the battery charging issue on the xps 9350 , I followed your directions and charged the battery overnight. Results were the same sopped charging at 80%.

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

September 4th, 2017 17:00

Hello LsuFAN. Many thanks for all your help.

After charging the battery overnight I looked at the the charging LED front panel light and it  was off, I clicked on the battery ICON and then WIndows MobilityCenter, I see that the Battery was charged to the 80% level , and most importantly the time was displaying 11Hours and 55 Minutes.

Is it possible the Calibration method has changed?

Thanks again

Rob

No Events found!