Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2017 08:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 only recognizes external monitor, laptop screen black

My xps 13 9350 laptop screen is just blank but when I hook up an external monitor it shows everything. I went to my display settings and it doesn't even recognize a second display, for some reason it thinks the external monitor is the main screen. When I click "detect" it doesn't detect a second display.

I have booted in safe mode and everything works on the actual laptop but otherwise it only boots with a an external display.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2017 19:00

This is a hardware issue and likely the LCD cable is loose, wearing or damaged. Alternatively your LCD screen could be malfunctioning. I had the same issue and wasted hours on software settings until I saw a Dell post saying to swivel the LCD lid up and down a few times. When I did that the in built LCD lit back up. I'm currently still working with dell warranty support on this as I feel this type of problem will get progressively worse.

I have a dual boot setup, so what are the odds that both operating systems had the same issue of only displaying to an external monitor?

I dont quite understand the technical issue this LCD was having. Before I discovered the actual issue via opening and closing the lid a few times, the screen would not boot past bios. I had to connect an external monitor to get into the desktop Windows. Further , I had to remove disable the graphics driver. Once I rebooted, I could reach the windows desktop normally but it would be low resolution. In Linux, it would do the opposite, it would boot into a really high resolution setting...literally too small to read anything only in recovery mode.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2017 14:00

They replaced my LCD and that fixed the issue. Not sure if there was something else that could have been done but it worked

March 30th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please try to run the on-board diagnostics and capture any error codes and messages.

Also, can you boot into BIOS?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

5 Posts

April 6th, 2017 14:00

I am having the exact same problem.  I have completely reinstalled Windows 10 and the internal display works for a while then a short time later, the monitor goes black and the external monitor is the only thing working.  

3 Posts

April 6th, 2017 18:00

With mine, the laptop screen didn't even work for a bit, except in safemode or to show the dell logo when it booted up. So i'm not sure if your issue is the same, but:

I found a temporary fix. Boot in safemode, then go to your device manager, then go to display adapters and right click on "Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 540" and choose "disable."

Then restart your laptop. The screen should be working. The only caveat is that you can't adjust brightness on the display. I think the brightness is just set to whatever value it was set to before you disable the display adapter but I'm not actually sure.

If you want to use your external monitor again, you just have to enable that display adapter again, your laptop screen (well at least this was the case for me) will go black again but your external will work. You don't have to boot in safemode to enable it.

I say temporary because either you disable the adapter and the laptop screen works, but then an external monitor won't work. Or you enable and your laptop screen goes blank but your external works.

1 Message

April 8th, 2017 11:00

Hi

Clould you please inform us if you solve the issue. I'm having exactly the same problem so I have to disable display adapter to make laptop work, but this is not a solution. I have updated the bios, installed latest intel video drivers but still no luck. Unfortunately my warranty just ended in February, so I can't return it or ask for mb replacement.

May 10th, 2017 17:00

Did this ever get resolved for you?  I'm having exactly the same problem.

1 Message

May 25th, 2017 09:00

any answer yet?

6 Posts

July 9th, 2017 12:00

Any further updates? I'm having the exact same problem. All was working fine and then I bumped my monitor slightly while adjusting position and the display went black, which certainly suggests a loose connection somewhere. I get the Dell logo when I boot up, but then it only displays on the external monitor and won't recognize the laptop's display if I try to add it via display settings. I found a thread on another forum that recommended downloading a slightly older driver, but that didn't make any difference. I'm also just recently past warranty.

1 Message

July 13th, 2017 17:00

I have a similar problem but in my case, the built-in LCD lights up but nothing is displayed on it, not the BIOS, not even the Dell Logo.

Surprisingly, when I press "D" and Power On, the LCD does show all of the colors.

If I switch to an external monitor, everything works.

I thought the issue was with the motherboard and got a replacement board (took the opportunity to upgrade the processor and RAM), and with the new board installed, I have the exact same issue. At this point, the only culprit can be the LCD (or the LCD cable) but I am surprised that in the display test ("D"+Power On) it does display colors.

I'll get a replacement LCD to see if that fixes the issue.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2017 14:00

I also agree that 9 times out of 10 it is the lcd cable 

1 Message

October 29th, 2017 20:00

I have same problem!

So, Is it enough to replace only LCD cable, not whole display?

14 Posts

October 30th, 2017 03:00

I think,the most useful way is to take the lcd screen down and try to repair it one by one step.First,check the LCD cable and then try to check whether it is the screen's problem.If you need the cheap lcd cable or screen,you can check here http://www.parts-dell.cc/ ,even if you need the whole assembly.

No Events found!