J-b-m
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 13 9365 - Won't boot USB in SATA Mode AHCI - Trying to install Ubuntu

Jump to solution

Ok, after many trials, I finally managed to install Ubuntu on my xps 9365 with the 500Gb Toshiba NVMe.

Not sure what finally caused it to work, I applied Dell drivers & windows updates, and finally the laptop accepted to boot correctly in AHCI mode. I could then choose to boot from USB and installed Ubuntu with UEFI enabled and secure boot disabled. My quick tests are quite satisfactory using Ubuntu 17.04 daily build. Wireless, bluetooth and touchscreen (including pressure sensitivity) work fine. Did not try to reboot Windows since, so not sure it still works under Windows but at least I can now enjoy Linux on my device, sweet!

0 Kudos
yzfdude
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 13 9365 - Won't boot USB in SATA Mode AHCI - Trying to install Ubuntu

Jump to solution

I'm running Ubuntu 16.10 on the Dell XPS 13 9365 with BIOS 01.00.05

Drive 512 GB Toshiba NVMe

First thing I did was turn off Secure boot.

SATA Operation set to AHCI

Port Enablement M.2 PCIe SSD turned on

Everything so far is working except for wake up from suspend, once suspended you have to hard boot and hold the power button for a long time.

My boot times are about 20 seconds from press of the power button.

0 Kudos
jonr2017
1 Copper

Jump to solution

j-b-m - Good for you and thanks for the info.  I still haven't been able to get my 9365 (XPS 13 2 in 1) with Toshiba 512GB NMVE pcie ssd to work when I change the SATA controller from Raid to SATA.

I notice when I change the SATA controlller in bios/efi from Raid to anything else,  it boots super slow (almost appears to hang) even just trying to get back into bios/efi.

Any more specific ideas on what you (or anyone else) did to get this to work.  I need to install Linux on this otherwise its a return (along with another 10 I ordered for my office).

Also, has anyone been able to boot from a MicroSD card in the computer?  If I put a microsd card with a live os in the computer via a usb adapter it show's up in the bios/efi but the same card doesn't show up at all if I use the built in reader (though the card using the reader will show up after I've booted into an OS) its just at bios that it doesn't give me an option to boot from it.

thanks!

jon

0 Kudos
jonr2017
1 Copper

Jump to solution

yzfdude - what did you do to allow this to work?  When I change my sata controller from 'raid' to 'sata' or 'none' the computer takes forever (5 -10 minutes) just to get past post then won't boot any OS (secure boot off other settings stock, bios version 1.0.5)

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

I never tried to use the Toshiba drive as PCIe.  What I suggest you do is try to load Windows on the system to see if it will do that.  The Bios update may be causing a problem for that drive as it seems to be for the 9360s.  I am assuming you are working with a clean drive while installing since the Windows installs have the drive being used as SATA?

You may just want to configure it as SATA and leave the setting on RAID..

I also would not have an SD card in the reader.  Until a driver is loaded for the reader it may have problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
J-b-m
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I will check my exact bios settings tonight and post it here for reference.

0 Kudos
wahwah80
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem with the system seeming to hang during POST after setting to AHCI.

I tried with the installed BIOS (think it was .2) then upgraded to the latest (.5) with the same behaviour.

If this won't work and I'm unable to install Linux on this laptop I will ask for a return.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

If this won't work and I'm unable to install Linux on this laptop I will ask for a return

I don't understand this statement.  If it won't work as PCIe (AHCI setting) why not just leave it set as RAID and use the drive in the SATA mode?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
wahwah80
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Please read up on previous posts. Linux doesn't see the NVMe drive in RAID mode hence cannot install to it.

0 Kudos
J-b-m
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So here is what I did and my current BIOS setup, on a Dell 9365 i7 with 500GB NVMe Toshiba drive.

First thing I did when receiving the laptop was upgrade BIOS to 01.00.05. I think I disabled Windows 10 fast boot (not sure of the exact name anymore) in windows settings. Shrinked Windows partition to leave a large empty space.

Then, disabled secure mode. I could boot from an Ubuntu live from an USB, but hard drive was not detected, so impossible to install.

I switched the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI (without booting to Windows), trying to boot from my USB key. I experienced a huge startup time (5 minutes to reach BIOS), unable to boot from USB. Tried all BIOS combinations I could think of without success.

Switched back the SATA mode to RAID and booted into Windows.

Applied all Windows updates and DELL updates (2 Dell updates applied)

Rebooted maybe twice. Altered the BIOS settings as described below, and suddently I could see my USB key as a boot option in the (F12) boot menu. I appeared under a name like UEFI USB device.

From this point, I could boot and install linux without issue (I installed in the empty space, leaving Windows

partition untouched).

Unfortunately, I did try so many combinations that I don't know what finally made it work. Feel free to ask if you have questions, glad if I can help.

My BIOS settings:

Advanced boot options:

Legacy ROM - unchecked

UEFI network stack - unchecked

Boot Sequence:

UEFI selected

Secure boot:

disabled (when disabling secure boot, it usually checks some options in "Advanced boot option" so better check everything twice).

In system configuration:

SATA operation:

AHCI

Misc. devices:

Camera - disabled (not sure it is related)

POST behavior:

Fastboot set to minimal