Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 19th, 2017 01:00

Dell XPS 13 AC Adapter getting very hot

Hi,

I am normally in Canada but currently in UK and my Dell XPS AC power adapter is getting very hot and I'm totally reliant on this laptop. Is there anything I can do to repair this? :( I'm so worried I will lose my hard drive, data or anything else...the motor keeps running and it's loud.

please help,

thanks,

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 19th, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

Please list your Dell model number and version of windows. Dell XPS 9550, windows 10

In the meantime, I'd suggest you run the Preboot Diagnostic tool on the system. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off computer. Remove all peripherals - Printer, external drive, etc...).

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Processor fan, and then Thorough Test Mode. Do the same for Charger as well. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 19th, 2017 08:00

Or....

Use a paid backup software such as Acronis:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd also suggest purchasing a external drive and then create a system image backup of windows 10. Please follow instructions in video below:

youtu.be/rtPrM3-k0jQ

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:( I'm so worried I will lose my hard drive, data or anything else...

I'd suggest you quickly create a recovery drive. You'll need al least a 16GB flash drive. Please follow instruction in the link below.

How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive - YouTube

10 Posts

February 19th, 2017 09:00

Hi!

Thanks so much for replying, wow! God send. Yes, I ran the thorough diagnostics and everything came back clean, which really surprised me. Bios didn't need updating. Backed everything up and have been backing up my thesis obsessively but obviously worried and nervous that something will happen still...

10 Posts

February 19th, 2017 09:00

Windows version is Windows 10 Pro and my Dell version is below:

Support for XPS 13 9333 Change product Add to my products

Service Tag: 3NBXY22 Express Service Code: 7941128618

Thanks for any help/advice!!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 19th, 2017 10:00

" the motor keeps running and it's loud ".

The fan keep running and very loud usually means the system is overheating. When you power on the system and boot into windows, does adapter quickly get hot? Does it happen only when using the system a very long time? Does it happen only in certain programs, web browsers, or playing a lot of games?

10 Posts

February 19th, 2017 12:00

hey,

That really helped. I think the problem was that I was reading papers on the bed...now I have a hard notebook underneath and the overheating subsided! Hope it continues :)) Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 20th, 2017 05:00

Glad to know you figured it out. Thanks for the update.....:emotion-2:

No Events found!