Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2015 03:00

Dell XPS 13 Amber flashing light and 'alarm' sound - will only turn on when plugged in even though battery is over 10%

I bought a new XPS 13 just over one month ago.

On a few occasions now I've had problems turning it on if it isn't plugged in.  Basically when I press the on switch, the amber critical battery light starts flashing, accompanied by a very loud 'alarm' type noise.  It happened again this morning.  I was able to switch the laptop on by plugging it in, but when it did come on it showed that the battery was at 32%, well above the 10% critical level at which the amber light should be flashing.  Generally, the battery life isn't what I hoped it would be, averaging about 4-5 hours before I have to plug in.

I'm concerned I might have a motherboard problem and would be grateful for some pointers.

Many thanks.

1.2K Posts

June 17th, 2015 10:00

Good day  TULIP2010 ,

Thank you for writing to us . 

I would suggest you to try these steps to advise the result ,

* Update the system BIOS to the latest version from our support site .Click here for the link .

*Check in the system BIOS if the battery and charger are recognized .Also confirm the status of the charger and battery health.

*Have you had a chance to test if this systems battery ,charger  works fine on other system and similarly have you tested if any other battery ,charger fails on this system with the same issue .

Hoping to hear from you soon .

Kindest Regards ,

2 Posts

July 6th, 2015 07:00

I think I've got the same problem. My Dell XPS 13 suddenly went blank and I am unable to turn it back on. This laptop is only 5 months old!

The light at the front is blinking orange and it makes a terrible alarm sound for a few seconds before turning off. I am unable to start it up. I have a video that I can upload if that's useful.

The battery was at 60% and I tried plugging it to AC power and it didn't seem to help either. What should I do?

The firmware was already up to date. I think I need to claim warranty in Australia.

1.2K Posts

July 8th, 2015 01:00

Hi Cantoon ,

If the power button stays at blinking orange then the system isn't getting sufficient power from the source.

I would ask you to confirm how were you able too determine the power source was at 60% when the system fails to power on .Have you tested this system's battery and charger on a different system ?

Have you had the chance to test a different battery and adapter on this system ?This is to see if the issue follows the system with a different charger and adapter .

And I would also ask you to confirm if you have tried to release flea power from the system ( To release static power from the system,disconnect the system from wall socket remove the battery and charger  then press ,hold the power button for 15-20 secs here we are trying to release the static power from the system ) .Then connect the system to the wall socket with the help of the charger and try to turn on the system .

Also you mentioned about hearing an alarm sound,kindly take a look at the table below which has beep codes and possible causes of failure .

Hoping to hear your response after performing these steps .

Kindest Regards ,

2 Posts

July 8th, 2015 16:00

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. The laptop is completely stuffed. I've called the Australian tech support number and they think its a problem with the motherboard. They're sending a technician out today hopefully so fingers crossed they can repair it.

1.2K Posts

July 9th, 2015 11:00

Hi Cantoon,

Thank you for the reply ! Do test the system after part replacement while the technician sent is onsite so that if there are any concerns it can be sorted out more quickly .

If there are any concerns do reach out to us.

Regards ,

No Events found!