Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2016 03:00

Dell XPS 13 L322x Windows 10 desktop icons can't go to right side

Hello, I'm having a problem that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and for some reason I can't move my desktop icons to the far right side of the screen, they snap back one column away from that side like they're prevented from going that far because the Windows 8 charms bar is there. This happens on the computer's screen, but not on an external monitor when I plug one in. It's very strange. It happens when the icons are "arranged to grid." 

I'd really like to simply plug in my laptop to the external monitor and see the same desktop, but it's as if the computer still thinks I'm running Windows 8. Any advice or ideas? 

Thanks for your help!

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 21:00

right click in a blank spot on the screen click on view see if auto arrange is checked if it is uncheck it then try again.

July 4th, 2016 01:00

The icons will move over to the right if auto arrange is off, but I like to keep it on so they remain in the same place. 

Any other ideas? I'm thinking this must be related to the fact this computer had Windows 8.1. It's just so bizarre that they can't move over to the side. I've tried rolling back some display drivers, but I'm not sure if I'm using the correct ones. 

Oh, and this is a NON-touch screen model.

July 4th, 2016 01:00

Also, the driver details state "device not migrated" for the laptop monitor. I believe the problem lies with that. Any ideas?

79 Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

I myself i don't even use that function i chose to hide my icons on my desktop i realy don';t have icons on my desktop i made my taskbar higher and put then all there instead and if you would like to know how to do that just let me know.

79 Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

have  you tried to update your video drivers that may help when you set it to auto arrange it automatically puts the icons on the left side its always done that for me  with what ever  windows i had i started with windows melinium a long time ago and that did the same thing.i thinks hat just what it does the only way to stop that is to uncheck the auto arange.

July 5th, 2016 22:00

I found the problem: in the Settings > Display section, if the slide bar that says "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" is 125% or 150%, then the icons can't be both locked to grid and placed all the way to the right. 

It's a very strange thing to prevent with that setting!

Thanks for all of your help!

No Events found!