Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2013 09:00

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook trackpad freezes after laptop woken up from sleep

I was using my Dell XPS 13 for 30min and after I went to make lunch. But when I came back 20 min later, the laptop was in sleep mode. I tried moving the mouse cursor, but there was no response.  I tapped the one of the keys on the keyboard and the laptop woke up. But the trackpad is frozen. It just wont work. I pressed right and left click: nothing. I tried moving the mouse cursor: nothing.

The only option I was left with was pressing Ctrl + Alt and delete. I wen to task manager and restarted my PC and the trackpad worked.  

This happens ALL the time. I have the latest driver and BIOS and that still doesn't help. 

Any help?

119 Posts

Hi,

May be you should update trackpad's driver.

• please Enter the system service tag and click Submit to get the drivers for this system from the link given below:

please don't forget to choose your laptop OS in order to get a compatible driver

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Like I have stated on my original post, I do have the latest driver and I did update trackpad. Still no difference.

119 Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check if there is a hardware problem or not

1-Power off the computer

2-restart the computer,

3-press 'F12' key on the Dell logo screen

4-Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

Please refer to link below  if any error code shows up.

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

3 Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

I ran the Diagnostics and everything passed. However, my trackpad was frozen so I was forced to use the tab button to navigate myself to exit . The mouse cursor did not  move.

119 Posts

May 11th, 2013 12:00

I would  suggest to run Safe Mode and check if you experience the same issue. Please follow the steps below to start the computer in Safe Mode :

1 Power off the computer.

2 Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo screen about 3 times.

3 This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options.

4 Choose "Safe Mode" in the Advanced Boot menu

5 When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the same issue persists or not

4 Posts

July 7th, 2013 16:00

Mine has done the same thing since I bought it.

The problem is with the trackpad driver. It just seems to randomly lock up, I have a feeling it is power management related, but there doesn't seem to be any power configuration for the trackpad.

Anyway, in my case, I can get the trackpad working again by killing the following processes (You'll have to do all this with the keyboard)

"Ctrl + Shift + Esc" launches taskmanager

You can use tab to and the arrow keys to select processes. 

"Ctrl + Tab" switches between the different tabs of task manager.

Also because this laptop doesn't have a right click keyboard key, you can press "Ctrl + Shift + f10" to do a keyboard right click.

1. Stop the CyTpService in Taskmgr > services  (Note how CyCplo.exe and CyHidWin.exe have usually already bombed out at this point)
2. Taskmgr > Processes > Kill "Cypress Trackpad Service", "Trackpad Gesture Engine Monitor" & "Trackpad Monitor Bus"
3. Start the cypress trackpad service, either in Taskmgr > Services or by loading Services.msc from the start menu or run menu.
4. Trackpad should be working again.

What farce. £1000+ for a top of the range dell laptop and the trackpad is ***. What a shame. :( 
Apart from the trackpad, this machine is really nice.

TODO: These steps need to be stuck in a script that I can run from the command line.
I'm not sure that cmd.exe is man enough to perform these operations, maybe Python or
powershell might have to step up. Maybe vbs script, but that's a world of pain I just
don't want to go down. Or see if I still have the option to return this thing and replace it with a machine that works.

4 Posts

July 17th, 2013 05:00

After speaking to Dell support, there is a recently released bios update.

After updating to the latest bios it seems to be working okay.

5 Posts

August 6th, 2013 01:00

Tried bios and driver updates. No luck.  Did try the following and found it to work:

The touchpad and keyboard are connected to the PS/2 port.  The PS/2 port driver is I8042prt.sys. The investigation turned up the following:

1) There is a virus that targets the driver and so this should be checked and recovered.

2) Somewhere along the way, the start parameter for driver was adjusted from starting up every time to only when initiated by the user. (see support.microsoft.com/.../103000).  Use registry editor to change the start parameter from 3 to 1.  The key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt.

4 Posts

August 9th, 2013 17:00

Nice work @razen.

Even after the latest bios, I've had a couple of sporadic trackpad issues, it seems like your registry fix has cured them.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you debug the problem to that level and find out it was a registry problem?

4 Posts

August 12th, 2013 07:00

Spoke to soon. Still having sporadic trackpad problems.

Seems to be when the machine goes to sleep.  Sometimes it won't wake on a trackpad click, I have to use the keyboard to wake it, if I have to use the keyboard to wake it, the trackpad won't work.

I also notice that the sleep behaviour randomly changes. Most of the time when left unattended for a while, it will so to sleep, then resume instantly. Other times it seems to reboot when resuming from sleep.

No Events found!