Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2017 05:00

Dell XPS 13 Warm top and bottom surfaces

Specs: i5 7200U 7th gen, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM, FHD, killer WiFi BIOS and Drivers are updated to the latest has Win10-Home History After two motherboard replacements I got rid of coil whine and but now the system is feeling warm, which i would rather like to be cold. Issue The keyboard, top and bottom plate/surfaces are always warm. Even when I compare the temp with the trackpad, there is a noticeable difference. This isn't felt in any of the Optical drive old laptops as well. The temperatures are uncomfortable as finger tips and palm feels the heat below the keyboard. From what I remember this never happened before the most recent motherboard replacement. I got a repaste done as well during the last onsite service I am only using Chrome most of the time, it gets heated up easily as well. Idle and light usage temps are around 41-50C. Peak temps under stress go up to 96C but usually stay under 90, average temp during stress test was ~81C. I can share more details if required. Is anyone else also facing the same? I am feeling bad about all of this happening, don't want to raise the request for any part replacement again. What could be the reason? Could it be motherboard, heatsink, BIOS? Because usually it works like a charm and temps also doesn't seem to be bad. Please please help!

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 28th, 2017 16:00

Since the system was recently serviced it might be worth having the tech come out again/further service, it might have been that the heatsinks were not setup properly etc. or maybe are loose (this typicallly never happens but it could be something random). When it does get this hot if you go to Task Manager does it show anything eating up CPU % besides what's supposed to be?

Best regards,

Brad 

6 Posts

August 30th, 2017 04:00

the CPU load values don't go usually beyond 25-40%

i have felt that playing Youtube has an effect on temps, both CPU and GPU (doesn't have discrete graphics) of about 5-7C. (goes from 43C to 50-51C when youtube is playing a video)

the keyboard is not getting hot but it's very noticeable and warm enough to be felt

I think you are right either it's problem of fit or something random

6 Posts

August 30th, 2017 04:00

there is nothing that's unnecessarily eating the CPU usually around 4-10% CPU utilization

No Events found!