Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2016 03:00

Dell XPS 13 restarts when waking up from sleep on battery power

As of yesterday, if I put my Dell XPS 13 9350 (Windows 10) to sleep and wake it up again, it boots up from scratch, applications complain that they were forced to quit with unsaved files, etc.

It seems this specifically occurs if it is on battery power when I wake it up. (Incidentally I'm fairly sure it occurs whether I put it to sleep by closing the lid, using the power button, or using the Start menu. It also occurs if I hibernates instead of sleep, though I never do this so have only tested it once.)

I assume this is due to some update Dell Update made a couple of days ago, but I don't know what it was.

I've since updated drivers from the Dell site & elsewhere, uninstalled video drivers (which fixed this problem for someone else on this site), and specifically checked that the battery-related drivers are up to date, but none of this helped.

Any suggestions?

13 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 05:00

OK, so I finally seem to have fixed it myself (thanks to a post on Reddit).

The solution:

1. Ensure you have BIOS version 1.2.3 or later; if not, update it
  2. Shut down computer
  3. Start up again while holding down F2, to go into the BIOS
  4. From the menu choose Power Management, then Block Sleep, then check the Block Sleep box at the top

This removes the Sleep option from Start menu>Power (and elsewhere), but fixes the problem. From the behaviour, it now seems to be hibernating rather than sleeping when I close the lid or press the power button, in that it takes longer to 'sleep' and wake up. Whatever, it works.

13 Posts

August 19th, 2016 04:00

(Incidentally I've also tried manually updating the Intel Management Engine Driver to the latest version, because this was causing some people similar problems a year ago; however this didn't help. The advice last year was to install an old version (9.5) but apparently this can't be done on the XPS 13 as that version is not compatible.)

No Events found!