Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2013 20:00

Dell XPS 14 is randomly shutting off (full battery) with no warning

I have a XPS L421X (BTX) laptop.. Recently it has started to randomly shut-off. After it shuts off, I cannot turn it back on for typically 10s up to 5 minutes. To be clear, when it shuts-off, it isn't a graceful power down, its like its power was cut. When it's in the failed state, the battery power doesn't illuminate when pressing the battery power indicator button on the bottom of the laptop nor does the power switch on-top work. 

I've posted a video to show the symptoms in more detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTT4wz21HwU&feature=youtu.be

The video starts right after the laptop went "dead", you'll notice that the battery indicator is dead but comes back to life after ~40 seconds. It will tend to continue working for random periods of time and completely die again. 

Anyone see this before on their XPS? Is there a known issue that would be causing this?

Thanks,

Michael

5 Posts

April 5th, 2015 15:00

I replaced the battery and all fine since. I think the battery breaks a connection as the chassis flexes. I bought an aftermarket one and its been fine ever since. Easy to replace.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2015 17:00

Hello, that sounds like a overheating problem check to see if your vents are clogged.other wise thermal paste the cpu with a good paste like artic silver.

1 Message

August 21st, 2015 20:00

Having the same issue since a longtime. Dell support doe snot wants to support even I have warranty. They never oblige the Next business day service.

Here is a short history of my story:

I have been a dell customer since 2005. And would have purchased 20+ systems till date including my office systems. I have been complaining of a laptop (service tag: BPYZRT1 ) automatically shutoff issue since july. But every-time the customer care just tell you to reformat the system and try. Like reformatting is a single click job (BTW i have done this for another issue and it did not got resolved and the issue was due to charger). The latest service request number is: 915540999. And the guy handling is the rudest person I have ever dealt with.

He behaves like the God of dell (I am the last point of contact no more escalations). Please reformat (waste 24 hours of my time) if issue is still not resolved will we see then.

My simple question is why do you say NBD (Next Business Day on-site) if you cannot provide one. Please send an engineer identify the issue and fix it. It is as simple as that. Do not waste customer time and cheat them. My advice for everyone is never buy a dell product

No Events found!