Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2013 15:00

Dell XPS 14z L412z Eject Button Not Working

So I had to re-install Windows 7 64bit after forgetting the password and after I installed all of the drivers everything except for the EJECT BUTTON seems to be working.  I thought it worked the fist few days after the install but maybe Windows updated something and now it doesn't work.  I went to the driver section and tried reinstalling the 7W7T4 driver package and that didn't fix anything.  When I tried to follow the Dell "proper order for installing the drivers" page the drivers it says to install first aren't available for my computer.  Please tell me what I need to do to fix this.  It appears that there are lots of XPS 14z and 15z users that have had issues with the eject function. Fr the time being I'm having to right click on my D: drive and click eject to get the CD/DVD's out.  This sucks!   Please help!  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Natanous,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Quickset on the computer.

Uninstall:

Below mentioned steps would uninstall quickset on the computer:

Before installing the Quickset we would need to uninstall version which is present in the computer, please follow the below mentioned steps to uninstall the Quickset from the computer:

• Click Start.
  • In search type “Programs and Features”. Press enter
  • Uninstall Dell Quickset.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Install the drivers on the computer and check the functionality.

Install:

Install Quickset using the link below:

http://dell.to/14BaZD7

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

September 13th, 2013 16:00

Okay, it ejects in BIOS.  I'm trying the msconfig startup setings now to see what's conflicting.  Thanks for the point in the right direction.  Will update when it's solved.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 13th, 2013 16:00

Hi Natanous,

Check if the drive ejects in BIOS. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo. Now try using the “Eject” key and check if the drive ejects.

Refer the following link which has steps to resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/1gc0CHZ

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

September 13th, 2013 17:00

Okay, so I rebooted the computer in the diagnostic boot and the eject button did NOT work.  So it works in BIOS but not in regular, booted mode. I don't think I have any additional DVD burning software installed so I don't think that's the problem.  I tried updating my BIOS and that doesn't do it.  Is there any optical drive drivers that I need to update?  Dell doesn't have any on the driver page for my laptop.  Thanks for the quick reply. So what else can I try? :(

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi Natanous,

Check if the drive ejects in Safemode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo and select Safemode with networking.

If the drive ejects in Safemode with networking, the issue is with the Operating system.

If the issue persists in Safemode with networking and if the computer has active warranty I shall go ahead and arrange for a service to replace the part.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Send Private Message.

Let me know the status.

11 Posts

September 21st, 2013 10:00

Well I booted in safe mode with network and it won't eject. It would eject in CMOS but not any other

Mode. I checked warranty and it's not under warranty any more please advise on my options. Will Dell still honor the hardware warranty?  

11 Posts

September 29th, 2013 20:00

Well apparently I didn't have the Quickset installed on the computer.  After all of the driver installations I must have either deleted it or failed to install it.  Thanks for the link.  Seems I can't always find the full array of drivers on the drivers page.  Thanks for your help Rajesh.

March 18th, 2014 09:00

Rajesh Thanks so much for posting this.  My XPS14Z started having the issue of the eject button not working.  Ejected fine if I clicked eject in the software.

I uninstalled Quickset as you suggested and used the link provided and reinstalled.  After rebooting everything works!!

I couldn't find this type of help anywhere through the Dell site.

Thank You!!! You saved me hours of messing around.

1 Message

December 4th, 2014 14:00

Hi I have the Dell xps 14z and one cd is stuck inside how can I eject?

December 4th, 2014 17:00

This worked for me:

Install Quickset using the link below:  Uninstall and Reinstall if need be.

http://dell.to/14BaZD7

1 Message

October 27th, 2015 20:00

This also worked after upgrading from W7 to W10. Quickset is the answer.

No Events found!