Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 19:00

Dell XPS 15 1TB and 32GB SSD

I have Dell XPS 15 (9530) 1TB HDD and 32GB SSD model

I got new 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and i am planning to swap my 1TB HDD To SSD.

I am reading in forums regarding disabling Intel rapid start, i am not sure where to do it and also is there is any other setting i have to do before replacing HDD to SSD or i can ignore intel rapid start and clone to ssd and just replace it, thanks for your answers and help

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 16th, 2017 20:00

If you don’t see Intel Rapid Start in your Programs and Features list, you don’t have it. If you do, just uninstall it because you won’t be using it anymore anyway. The other thing to check for is Intel Smart Response. To disable that, open the Intel Rapid Storage application and make sure the Acceleration Feature is disabled. Then you should be set to clone. Macrium Reflect Free is a popular tool for that purpose.

November 23rd, 2017 15:00

Sorry for late reply

Thank you jphughan, i tried to clone samsung data migration tool, it fails after 99% cloning, i will try Macrium Reflect Free and update here how it goes.

November 28th, 2017 20:00

Thank you jphughan and annain.

Cloning using samsung data migration and Macrium reflect didnt work for me.

Samsung cloning failed after 99% and Macrium reflect finished cloning but after i replace HDD to SSD it said OS file not found.

then i tried Ease US to do cloning even this failed.

Ease US corrupted my os and i couldnt recover (luckily i had backup of everything) then using dell backup restored to windows 8.

I downloaded windows 10 to usb directly from microsoft.

Then i simply changed the hdd to ssd and installed win 10 freshly in ssd once i logged in with my microsoft acct windows got activated automatically and all good now.

33 Posts

November 28th, 2017 20:00

My recommendation is aomei backupper, which is a powerful and free third party software to migrate data from hdd to ssd. You can also use it to create system backup image if you need in the future.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 28th, 2017 21:00

Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that about Macrium Reflect, since I've used it flawlessly for a while now.  Did you make sure to clone ALL of the partitions on your source drive rather than just C?  If you cloned just the C drive, then the system wouldn't have been able to boot, since the OS boot file lives on the EFI partition.  There's also a "Fix Boot Problems" function in the Rescue Media interface that can come in handy for errors like that, or at least explain what the problem is.  Anyhow, glad you're sorted!

33 Posts

November 28th, 2017 22:00

Glad to hear that you have solved the issue successfully. I suggest you to migrate os to the neew ssd in the future if you want to boot.

No Events found!