Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2014 18:00

Dell XPS 15 9530 Firmware problem discovery and solution to the problem...

This post is in regards to the BIOS/UEFI update A03 that is released on Dells driver and update page.

I flashed this firmware update thinking it would be better, obviously the higher version number, however, you will notice that upon upgrading, you will notice that your touchscreen will no longer work. I spent almost 2 hours deducing what could have been the issue after I had updated some other drivers from Dell and Intel as well. I began combing through the logs in Windows 8.1 and noticed there were problems loading drivers for the NFC and the Touchscreen. So, I began uninstalling update by update until I decided to boot into my Linux OS to determine whether the problem was a driver issue with Windows, or a system wide problem.

Sure enough, I booted Linux, touched the screen and nothing...so I naturally went back to the Dell website to look for the A02 version of the BIOS/UEFI update to downgrade. Couldn't find it, so I searched on my best friend, google, and found a link for the old A02 (current version), and downloaded it. I then began the installation, it will tell you that Dell doesn't like to downgrade, but I ignored it since the upgrade process didn't clear the entire ROM just a portion, plus the EC. So, once I downgraded and reboot, touch screen works!

I hope that helps those who did the same thing as I did.

1 Message

April 13th, 2014 21:00

Hey Jason,

Thanks for this post, I was considering a bios because my XPS 15 9530 froze a couple of times already in just a couple of days of use.

Has anyone from Dell confirmed this defect.

Cheers, Alex

No Events found!