Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Fn key options

Currently, one can only toggle between Fn keys being media keys or F1-F12 keys. On my old Dell XPS 13, when Fn keys are set as media keys, Alt + F4 would still close the window. On this Dell XPS 15, one has to press Alt + Fn + F4 to do the same when Fn keys are set as media keys.

Can we have a BIOS update that automatically changes the Fn keys to be F1-F12 when a modifier key, such as Alt, is pressed?

I know I can toggle between media/F1-F12 via Fn + Esc but it's a stupid hassle to have to toggle each time I just want to close a window. I want Fn keys to be media keys EXCEPT when a modifier key, such as Alt, is pressed.

June 3rd, 2016 11:00

You can toggle the behavior of the Fn key with the Fn+Esc hotkey*. I knew I had done this when I got my XPS 15 in October last year, and it had been pretty painless. I confirmed that it still works. The ESC key in the top left of the keyboard has a small lock with "Fn" on it and this toggles the Fn lock on and off so that you can use your keys as Function keys or multi-function keys.

Hope this helps

*askubuntu.com/.../how-to-invert-fn-keys-on-dell-laptop

11 Posts

January 24th, 2016 20:00

Finally someone post about this problem.dell please look at this man.

1 Message

March 19th, 2016 11:00

I was looking for the same thing! I have non-touch screen, so I use the keyboard for almost everything and seeing ctrl+f4 and alt+f4 not working on XPS 9550 was frustrating, although some cheap laptops do include that option. Hope they fix it.

7 Posts

July 24th, 2016 16:00

Please read my OP more carefully. I specifically said I am not talking about the Fn + Esc permanent toggle.

No Events found!