Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 5th, 2017 18:00

Dell XPS 15 9550- Not able to install Thunderbolt driver

I am not able to install thunderbolt driver on my Dell XPS 15 9550.

• Thunderbolt controller  driver version: 16.3.61.275 ,A03
  • This is the first installation attempt after a clean Windows install.
  • I have tried installing older versions from dell website and all are giving same results.

Installer returns a "Setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error" with the following errors in log.

InstallServices: Service: 

Action 10:01:22: Action1_PostInstall.
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSICD11.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
Calling custom action ThunderboltInstaller!CustomActions.PostInstall
Installing service ETW manifest
**** Warning: Publisher {8c2ec332-c0e1-4a25-b152-8e869fc649d7} is installed on
the system. Only new values would be added. If you want to update previous
settings, uninstall the manifest first.

**** Warning: The resource file for publisher Intel-Thunderbolt-Service was not found or could not be opened.

resourceFileName: C:\Program Files\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\tbtsvc.exe

Installing application ETW manifest
**** Warning: Publisher {8ef15e41-05bf-5bcd-4aa8-4f0559564dc0} is installed on
the system. Only new values would be added. If you want to update previous
settings, uninstall the manifest first.

Register Thunderbolt service WMI provider
The system cannot find the file specified
CustomAction Action1_PostInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 10:01:23: InstallExecute. Return value 3.
Action 10:01:23: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: Action1_PostInstall
Rollback: Installing new services
Rollback: Writing system registry values
Rollback: Creating shortcuts
Rollback: Action3_DriversInstall
Rollback: Copying new files
Rollback: Action4_DriversInstallRollback
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSID01F.tmp-\
Calling custom action ThunderboltInstaller!CustomActions.DriversInstallRollback
InstallDrivers run x64
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_1566
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_1566 uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_1568
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_1568 uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_1575
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_1575 uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_1577
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_1577 uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_156A
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_156A uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_156C
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_156C uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_157D
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_157D uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_15BF
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_15BF uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_15D9
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_15D9 uninstall done
Uninstall driver: VEN_8086&DEV_15D2-LAST
Last bus driver detected, performing the OEM*.inf cleaning for bus driver
Found Thunderbolt OEM file C:\Windows\INF\oem4.inf
Oem file found and removed oem4.inf
Driver VEN_8086&DEV_15D2-LAST uninstall done
Uninstall driver: {E6869364-3C20-4216-87C6-829A050D1291}\P2P
Found Thunderbolt OEM file C:\Windows\INF\oem7.inf
Oem file found and removed oem7.inf
Driver {E6869364-3C20-4216-87C6-829A050D1291}\P2P uninstall done

Rollback: Action2_PostInstallRollback
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSID7F0.tmp-\
Calling custom action ThunderboltInstaller!CustomActions.PostInstallRollback
Rollback Thunderbolt service WMI provider registration
CustomAction Action2_PostInstallRollback returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
Rollback: Creating folders
Rollback: Deleting services
Rollback: Stopping services
Rollback: Updating component registration
Rollback: Action18_WriteRunningFlagToRegistry
Action ended 10:01:25: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Action ended 10:01:25: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
Action 10:01:25: FatalError.
Action start 10:01:25: FatalError.
Action 10:01:25: FatalError. Dialog created
Action ended 10:01:46: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 10:01:46: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: 12/6/2017 10:01:46 ===
MSI (c) (1C:64) [10:01:46:707]: Product: Thunderbolt™ Software -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (1C:64) [10:01:46:709]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Thunderbolt™ Software. Product Version: 16.3.61.275. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Intel Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

[12/06/17 10:01:46]
--- End of Vendor Software Log ---

December 5th, 2017 19:00

Dear jphughan,

Thanks for the reply.

This is the first installation attempt on a clean Windows install.

I have tried installing different versions from dell website and all are giving same results.

Best

Anand

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 5th, 2017 19:00

The note about a missing resource file makes me wonder if the download might have been corrupted somehow.  Have you tried just redownloading the file from Dell?  And do you already have an older version of the Thunderbolt software installed or is this the first installation attempt on a clean Windows install?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 5th, 2017 21:00

Ok, in that case another possible cause of files missing is anti-virus that deletes/quarantines them inappropriately. Have you already installed any third-party AV software? And do you have the latest BIOS and the other chipset drivers all already installed? The Thunderbolt software might have dependencies on other Intel chipset drivers.

December 5th, 2017 22:00

okay. But I dont have any AV softwares installed and I have installed latest BIOS and all the chipset drivers available on website.

Though I have install all drivers, it was not done in any specific order if that makes any difference.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 5th, 2017 23:00

Dell publishes a driver sequence for some systems, but that's not the ONLY valid way to install drivers; it's just a sequence that's known to work.  Typically the sequence is designed to avoid stumbling on dependencies, such as "This driver won't install properly unless that driver is already installed", but if you didn't see any errors during your driver installations and Device Manager looks ok, I seriously doubt that driver installation sequence is the issue.

What release of Windows 10 are you running?  Are you running an Insider Build, by any chance?

December 5th, 2017 23:00

I am using Windows 10 Version 1709 OS build: 16299.98

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 6th, 2017 07:00

Ok, in that case I don't have any other immediate suggestions.  If I were in your position I would probably consider just running the clean install again rather than spending more time troubleshooting something that should be very straightforward, but I realize that if it's not clear what the problem is now, there's no certainty that the effort of another clean install will result in a different outcome.  Sorry!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 6th, 2017 08:00

anandinasu, is the listing you provided the entire log?  I have a hard time trying to compare a complete log of an excerpt because I can't follow the sequence.  But one thing I see, if relevant, is the part of my listing below.

Installing service ETW manifest

**** Warning: The resource file for publisher Intel-Thunderbolt-Service was not found or could not be opened.

resourceFileName: C:\Program Files\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\tbtsvc.exe

Installing application ETW manifest

Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 10.0.15063.0

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.

Parsing MOF file: service.mof

MOF file has been successfully parsed

Storing data in the repository...

Done!

Also, the update version shows as of 30 NOV but in reality I installed that same version back in August.  

Maybe the partial listing will help explain where your install goes wrong but if not, it you want to supply a full listing, you could place it on your OneDrive and give us a link.  Since it is a text file you could edit out any personal info, but try to leave some type of annotation if you remove a section.

December 6th, 2017 10:00

Dear Saltgrass,

Thanks a lot for the reply.This is the link to complete log.

https://goo.gl/3yaQdm

Best,

Anand

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 6th, 2017 12:00

I have gone through the logs.  Since I did the driver install back in August, my log shows using different versions of the installers so the listings will not be the same.  But I still show that same error where your system cannot find the services.mof file which should be in the Windows\System32\wbem folder.

I suppose there is a possibility the FCU has caused part of the problem since my install was done using the 15063 build.  The new build may have the problem so I may end up uninstalling the controller and then reinstalling under the new build to check.

December 6th, 2017 14:00

I am not sure whether thats the issue. Well it could be. But I dont want to do a fresh install again to roll back and go through all the hazle.

Do you think this is because of some dependencies? like Intel Chipset driver or some other driver?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 7th, 2017 09:00

Did you do the update after downloading or let an automatic updater do it?

If the problem in the log is correct and I am reading it correctly, for some reason the file it needs is not available.  Possibly an access issue or a problem with the file.

I will look at your log again and probably uninstall the controller so I can reinstall to see how it works with the FCU build. but it may not be until later today.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 7th, 2017 15:00

Because I am not a programmer, I am including info in case someone reading this would recognize the situation.  Maybe something would allow you to do some research..

I got the new install done and the log is close until of the error which forces the rollback.

One thing I notice is your system is shown as "Client" where mine shows as "Server".  Along with that it looks like the path to the User folder is different.  Are you running in some type of Domain or other such configuration?

At the time the error occurs, your system is looking for a WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) provider and cannot find one.  Possibly, if your system is a Client system, it is looking for some server location.

Your system is using a different version of CLR than mine, which is 2.0.50727 where yours is 4.0.30319.  I think CLR is Common Language Runtime and may be related to which version of .Net Framework is running.  The version 4 and up of .Net seems to go with what you show.  I do not know if this is even relevant.

No Events found!