Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2015 21:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

I have a Dell XPS 15 (9550) that I received last week from Dell with a random screen flickering issue. 

It is based on evalue order code: <ADMIN NOTE: Order number removed per privacy policy>

It is the 6th Gen Core i7, 16GB RAM, 15.6" FHD 1080p display (not 4k), 512GB SSD, 84WHr Battery, Intel 530 Graphics AND NVIDIA 960M

I saw a post about the XPS 13 with the intel display flickering being fixed with the new driver... I am running driver version 20.19.15.4300 for the Intel 530 and my screen is still constantly flickering  on my brand new XPS 9550. 

Another Issue: I also noticed that in the Intel graphics properties config panel -> 3D -> Application Optimal Mode... this also causes issues with the start menu looking distorted and fuzzy, even making some of the white text look gray.  I disabled this to resolve that issue, but the screen still constantly flickers.

One thing I have done recently to mitigate the flickering is go into the NVIDIA driver control panel and set the NVIDIA card as the preferred graphics card, which works for most applications. As soon as the Intel card kicks back in the screen flickers... I have tried various drivers versions for this model off the Dell website without success. I am running Windows 10 Pro...  not sure if a newer driver is available and just not posted. For example the newest Laptop BIOS on the driver website ends in .3 while my pc came with .5 installed. So wasn't sure if the website was behind on graphics driver releases, although the Dell Update app hasn't downloaded any new driver either.

I am about to return this laptop, this is annoying... I know it is the intel driver because if I uninstall the Intel Driver completely and let it install the generic microsoft basic graphics driver, while the performance isn't good, the screen does NOT flicker.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if you were able to resolve it OR if this is completely a driver issue that only Dell / Intel can resolve?

Thanks!

178 Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

I am having the exact same problem.

I have tried numerous rollbacks and reinstalls and the problem still exists.

How can I stop the automatic updates?

17 Posts

April 15th, 2017 14:00

I am a regretful converter from Mac back to Windows. In my case I used the Device Manager to roll back to 20.19.15.4454. So far so good. Can we download a specific version from Dell? Has anyone tried the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 64-bit download from the Intel site?

April 18th, 2017 13:00

I uninstalled Dell PremierColor, after 4 hours of trying different drivers,  the flickering , and occasional video_tdr_failure reboot gone so far when putting computer to sleep and waking up.

June 5th, 2017 22:00

I had this same problem with the Intel 530 and NVIDIA 960M video hardware. The screen appeared to shut down, going black. It then restarted, re-painted and moved the cursor to the middle of the screen. This happened continuously making my XPS 15 9550 unusable. I fixed the problem, during moments of non-flicker, by changing the power plan in the "Power Options Control Panel" from "Balanced" (the default) to "High Performance". Returning it back restored the problem. There is no "DELL" power plan available on the XPS 15 9550. I've a request in with Dell Technical support for one to be provided.

No Events found!