dirk308
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

I manually installed the new Intel driver. My flickering is almost completely gone now but occassionally I will get about a 1 inch horizontal white bar flicker. So it did not completely fix it for me but has made it much better. Anyone else in same boat or has this fixed it completely for you guys?

0 Kudos
Andshill7
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

Thanks to Frozen fusion for posting the drivers. However, for me the replacement laptop has worked for me.  I now have no issues at all, despite the drivers.  This leads me to believe that the problems are mixed for us all.  In my case it was clearly the hardware at fault (constantly flickering,  crashing answer hardware errors in the reliability monitor logs). I even have Hyper-v on mine and it performs fine now.  Fingers crossed that this doesn't curse it ☺.

If the drivers don't resolve it then get it replaced.

Best of luck,

Andrew

0 Kudos
rmorby
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem on my brand new XPS15 9550 too. (6th gen Core i7, 4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) with the NVIDIA 960M and apparently Intel 530)

I have upgraded the BIOS, and installed the Beta driver from the MS site as per the advice from other people - apparently they have the same issue with the same GFX card on the Surface...

This has not fixed the issue on my unit.

Of note, when the screen momentarily goes off, it annoyingly puts the mouse cursor back in the centre of the screen, and sometimes resizes windows, and auto arranges their contents...

Does anyone know if  this a "known issue" and whether or not it being addressed? 

I have just changed the settings in the nVidia control panel like you have to use the nvidia card.  

I didn't know until today that there were two GPUs in this thing...

Kindest regards

Rich

delancyst
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am still getting random screen flickering with the 1.1.15 BIOS and the latest Intel Graphics driver (20.19.15.4331,A04). 

The whole display would black out momentarily during use.

Is this a hardware problem?

i7/16g/512gb/UHD 4k model here. 

cc171
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I seemed to have solved the flickering on my Dell by installing the 4352 graphics driver (in FrozenFusion's post), and also setting System cooling policy to "active" in Power Options. (I have an Inspiron that only has integrated graphics)

0 Kudos
Andshill7
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This was the exact problem i had. No driver or setting could fix it. I got my laptop replaced and the replacement has so far been everything I wanted and expected - no issues no matter the driver version.

It may be there are different levels of faults - some are solved by drivers but the screen going black as well as the flickering was exactly what I had. The replacement laptop has fixed this.

I think you have a hardware fault like I did.

All the best,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Andshill7
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I think it is a hardware fault. If the screen also goes black and the mouse returns to the center of the screen, I believe that's the controller resetting itself. I never got this fixed with drivers. Replacement laptop did the trick.

0 Kudos
DennisAme
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I'm still encountering slight flickering issues when putting the brightness to the minimum level in Windows. Intel has fixed this issue in driver 15.40.14.4352, but Dell is still offering the .4331 driver as the latest driver. 

When I try to install the driver from Intel's website, I'm getting an error "Error: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer’s manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I uninstalled Dell's Intel Graphics driver using Programs and Features, and was able to install the .4352 driver after that. The flickering seems to have become less apparent after this update, the Bing Maps app now correctly shows the maps and my laptop feels slightly faster for some reason.

Dell, please update your drivers as well!

0 Kudos
Alan nguyen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have same problems wirh you. I don't know that is hardware fail or just software. But i found same problem on bios setup. I am attched here my problem. Have dell fix that problem ?

0 Kudos
Alan nguyen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Did you fix this problem ? I have same problem with yours.

0 Kudos