Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2014 18:00

Dell XPS 15 Color Management Problem with "True Color"

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 (6845slv).  Overall I have very happy with it...but have been getting frustrated with color management issues and was hoping to get some advice.

Intermittently, the display had been changing the color scheme (to a suboptimal scheme).  It lasted for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes and then returned to the original (and more normal appearing) color settings.  It did not seem to happen while running any particular applications.  All drivers are up-to-date.

I turned off the dell application "True Color" which I thought may have been making automatic adjustments to the color scheme and since turning it off the issue hasn't happened again.  However now I'm concerned that by inactivating that software, that I may not be maximizing the potential of the high quality HD display.  And now--though maybe it's in my head--the colors seem to be a little flatter since turning off True Color.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the most out of the display? Has anyone had similar issues with True Color?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

1 Message

November 30th, 2014 13:00

I have a Dell XPS 15 9530 and I have the same problem, it looks like an automatic color adapting thing, when I put my hand over the webcam to block, after 5-10 seconds the screen turns into blueish colors, when I remove my hand it comes back warmer (very worm), then it settles back to a kind-of standard colors.

I couldn't find the place to disable this feature, and while I use my laptop mostly for video editing/color correction purposes this feature caused me to replace my 2400$ laptop with a 1000$ HP laptop without this smart-feature!

I wish I can find a way to fix this, but as I can see it has been over a month and no one has helped you too.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2014 16:00

I ended up fully uninstalling it from programs and features...I haven't had the problem since.  I've been happy with the display since making this change.

1 Message

December 21st, 2014 03:00

I have exactly the same problem. I have just disabled that feature, but it would be nice if someone at DELL takes a couple of seconds to anwer their customers given that they sell this TrueColor thing as a cool feature of their laptops. 
Dell TrueColor software just looks to me like a horrible implementation of a good feature, but as I said, would be nice to get some words from Dell.

April 28th, 2015 14:00

I'm having the same difficulty with my Inspiron 15 5000 Series.  True color keeps coming up error and I've no idea what to do other than send it back which makes me upset as I'll be without a laptop for a week and have to start from ground zero again.

11 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 10:00

I too have been struggling with the over-saturated screen on my XPS15. I am a photographer and it is impossible to edit photos on this laptop. I searched for "True Color" in control panel and did not find it, but I do have something called "Dell Premier Color". Is that it?  Can you disable it without deleting it?  

No Events found!