Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2013 20:00

Dell XPS 15 L502X - Frequent Freezing Issues at Start up

Hi Guys,

Experiencing a series of odd issues that I hope someone can provide insight into!

Today, I restored my Dell XPS 15 to factory settings (i.e. Day 1 set up). I initially did this as I was experience freezes/crashes running certain games, and suspected a driver or two may had been uninstalled/installed incorrectly.

Upon booting up my system (post-factory reset), the system is freezing within a minute or two of starting, generally when I try to open any program (Internet explorer, etc.). I am able to boot in safe mode without any issues (which is allowing me to make this post!).

Additionally, I've preemptively ran the hardware diagnostic test (F12 on boot up), and am receiving error code 0146.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this one and don't want to cause any further harm to my laptop, so any information the community can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brendon

7 Posts

December 26th, 2013 22:00

Update - did a bit of forum hunting, and it seems like the 2000-0146 error is generally associated with a failing hard drive. That said, if the solution for my problem above is a HDD replacement, would be interested to know which replacements are considered best for this laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi BMassey24,

Let me first appreciate the fact that you have tried the steps yourself to isolate the problem.

Error code: 2000-0146 (DST Log contains previous errors) refers to previous errors in the hard drive which might not really be a hardware failure. In order to confirm this, I recommend you to run a custom test on the Hard drive which takes longer time than the Pre-boot System Assessment which you have already performed on the computer but it will give the accurate result.

Also, I would suggest you to back up the data from the system if the system is booting up. I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer and then run the hardware diagnostics again. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

If the error reoccurs again then please refer to the link below to purchase a hard drive.

http://dell.to/1lkhn6k

7 Posts

December 27th, 2013 05:00

Thanks for the feedback! I'll run this test this morning, however can you explain/link how to run a custom test on the Hard drive?

7 Posts

December 27th, 2013 06:00

Did a bit of research and figured out how to run a custom test on the HDD. Test seemed to freeze at 8% complete, however prior to that I received the following errors;

- Error Code: 0F00: 1332 Msg: DISK - Block 128322728: Interrupt Request (IRQ) did not set in time

- Error Code: 0F00: 1332 Msg: DISK - Block 128322856: Interrupt Request (IRQ) did not set in time

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi BMassey24,

The error indicates the hard drive is faulty you may consider replacing the hard drive on the system. Please backup the data from the system if it’s booting up. Please click on the link below to check the warranty of the system. In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

If the system is out of warranty then you will need to contact our out of warranty department for repairs at 1-800-288-4410 (US only). Please let me know if you are from different region.

No Events found!