Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2016 14:00

Dell XPS 15 (L521x) plugged in, but not charging

I don't know how to solve this problem. Quickset keeps saying that my laptop doesn't recognize the AC adapter, and I can't afford to take the battery out of my laptop.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 15:00

There are a few quick tests that you can run that should tell you if there is a problem with the AC adapter or something else.  To start plug in the AC adapter and start the notebook while tapping F12 and choose bios. On the main screen it should mention the AC adapter type,  it should detect the AC adapter and mention what the type of adapter it is, or it could read not detected.

Under the advanced tab in the bios look for Adapter warnings and change it to enabled, then choose the exit menu and choose save changes and exit. When the computer reboots do you still get an error about the ac adapter?

Re connect the power cable from the AC adapter and test on another power outlet and see if it makes any difference. 

If none of the above steps seemed to make any difference it is likely that the AC adapter is failing and will need to be replaced.  If you have an spare AC adapter or one that you can borrow, test using the other adapter and see if there is a change. 

One last thing to try is to flash the bios, you can download rev a16 here,  just understand that the update may not complete if there is a problem with the AC adapter or battery. 

With these steps you should be able to find out if there is a problem with the AC adapter or with something else in the notebook. Please let me know what you find out. 

TB

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 16:00

I'll try buying a new  adapter to see what happens. But in the meantime I'll try downloading rev a16.

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 16:00

I think I know what the problem is. The Diagnostic says my adapter is 255 watts. What should I do?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 10:00

That would certainly explain why you are getting the message about the AC adapter.  Dell only shipped ninety watt adapters with the L521X.   You should consider purchasing a different AC adapter. Part numbers for suitable Dell 90 watt AC adapters are 6KXKH, 0W6KV, MRNFT, or P0PT9.

TB

No Events found!