Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 23:00

Dell XPS 15 not charging but is plugged in

my  Dell XPS 15z is only ten months old while on my computer last night something popped up saying:

'The AC power adapter type cannot be determined.

Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. 

This problem might be solved by:

• Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation.
  • Connect a Dell 130W adapter or higher'

i've always taken really good care of my laptop never dropped it or anything i hope that its not broke...

if it is broken and i have my year warranty do i still pay for whatever new part i need?

174 Posts

December 26th, 2012 10:00

Remove the battery and power up using the power adapter only.

December 26th, 2012 18:00

Only recently I identified what exactly was the problem here. Seems this is a common issue among Dell chargers. But the occurrence is due to the users' mishandling of the adapter cable rather than the adapter itself. 

If you take a close look at your adapter cable(the one from the adapter to the charging socket of the laptop), you will find a cylindrical shaped thingy. the segment of cable after that should always be straight. After long period of use in the bent state, one of the wires(red/green inside) tends to break in its connection. So you could peel off end charging pin's plastic outer cover and solder the broken wire to solve the problem. 

But the problem will re-occur after that weak soldering breaks off. So it is advisable for you to go in for a new adapter kit altogether. And yeah, it has nothing to do with BIOS settings or Motherboard issues.

Regards

1 Message

December 30th, 2012 16:00

Hi, I've had my dell xps L502X for 1yr 6 months, I'm using a 9 cell lithium ion battery, and I recently started having a similar problem.

My adapter works fine, but my battery won't fully charge, it reaches 68% capacity and stops making progress. The battery meter icon says "68% available (plugged in charging)" but makes no progress even an hour afterwards. I am reluctant to leave the battery charging much longer than that, I don't want to damage it. I've tried some trouble shooting like checking the adapter and updating the BIOS but nothing has worked. If anyone can offer a possible solution I'd be happy to hear it.

I don't however want to hear "buy a new $120 battery" just 6 months after my warranty has expired...

Thanks

1 Message

January 27th, 2013 15:00

Terry,

If your still monitoring this thread, I've had the same issue. When the computer was under warranty I sent it back and the charger was replaced; some thing else was done too, but I can't find the paper work. Anyway, the issue has started again. When I plug my charger in it says " Charger type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and your battery will not not charge, please connect a dell 130 or higher charger" or something to that effect. Do I just need to replace the charger?

4 Posts

January 27th, 2013 19:00

Hey Guys,

i replaced the power supply and it worked straight away.

get a genuine one though.. i got mine for about $40 aus dollars.

January 28th, 2013 01:00

I got hold of Dell support at their callcentre. They did a diagnostic test and confirmed that the power supply unit was faulty. Because it was still under warrenty, they sent me one at no charge in 2 days. Very good. I went to a computer hardware store before this and they tried a generic power supply which gave the same error message as before so I think you need genuine parts as Simon mentioned above

174 Posts

February 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi Jackie,

I also have same problem. I checked the process as you said. My LED on the AC adapter is on. It doesn't flicker or turn off when connected to my XPS L502X. But some times i noticed the battery is charged. This is not working for last one month. My battery is also dead. I recently changed my battery. It is not form dell. But anyways it not being charged. I lost my warranty couple of months ago. can you please suggest me what i need to do? It is only 15 months old and I already many other issues with this laptop. Now I am completely frustrated.

Thanks in Advance,

krishanu

If you know someone with the same unit, try their AC adapter and see if any charging takes place.    If not buy a new adapter from Dell.   These units have a special circuit to detect if a genuine Dell adapter is being used, so a third party adapter will not work properly.

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi Jackie,

I also have same problem. I checked the process as you said. My LED on the AC adapter is on. It doesn't flicker or turn off when connected to my XPS L502X. But some times i noticed the battery is charged. This is not working for last one month. My battery is also dead. I recently changed my battery. It is not form dell. But anyways it not being charged. I lost my warranty couple of months ago. can you please suggest me what i need to do? It is only 15 months old and I already many other issues with this laptop. Now I am completely frustrated.

Thanks in Advance,

krishanu

6 Posts

April 17th, 2013 08:00

Hello;

I have the same problem. Every once in a while (about 2-3 weeks) the system goes by itself to battery mode while the AC plugged in until it reaches %75 available (plugged in  Charging) however it stayed on %75 available but it is working on AC instead. The motherboard, AC adapter and Battery been changed 2 times yet it continue to exists 

Dell XPS 14 (L421x) 

Please provide me with you private e-mail to further elaborate on the problem 

1 Message

May 20th, 2013 19:00

Hi Jackie,

Re: Loose AC plug on Dell Laptop -- XPS L702X -- Product Key CQKGF-HTFBX-4H3M6-RJPPX-VBPWF

<ADMIN NOTE: Service code removed as per privacy policy>

We have tried everything.  The ring at the entrance to the hole for the AC adaptor appears loose.  The female connector recedes into the laptop and the male end on the power cord does not appear to create enough friction to create a tight connection.  But overall the cord just keeps falling out.

The machine just came off warrantly, but I am wondering if you could recommend a service repair place, Dell or other, where I could bring the computer in for repair.

Thanks,

Tom J. Fitzpatrick

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

<ADMIN NOTE: Contact information removed as per privacy policy>

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 16:00

Hi Tom,

You may check by connecting a known good Ac adapter. If the system works fine, replace the Ac adapter.  If the issue persists even with the known good Ac adapter, you may get the system serviced. Since the system is not under warranty, you may contact the Out of warranty department for assistance and the contact # is 1-800-847-4096 .

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 16:00

I had the same exact problem. Dell canceled my warranty after changing two times: motherboards,  AC Adapter and battery, all were changed twice, yet the problem persist. Dell canceled my warranty, they have came to final conclusion it is too costly for them to deal with it. I decided to live with the problem until the system die. It will give me a valid reason to get rid of Dell defective ill made machines and their mistreatment of US based customer. I wrote Dell VP a letter he assigned it to a person in India to work out a solution. Most diffidently, he does not FIT in customer relation, nor he has the ability to deal with  problems 

1 Message

July 7th, 2013 23:00

Hi Terry I am having the same problem as Jackieee416, I am also using Dell XPS, bought less than 1 year ago. Please help! Thanks!

6 Posts

July 8th, 2013 06:00

Hello;

I  have discovered one solution; drain the battery completely by working on your machine unplugged, once you receive auto warning “you need to find other power” then recharge it.  Please turn your machine off before you plug and unplugged the power cord.  I was very hesitant to start doing it. So far it is working

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Any search on Google about this problem reveals hundreds of users facing the same problem. I suppose it should be clear to Dell why people are switching to Apple product en mass. Having bought practically the highest end XPS model with blue ray and 8GB etc. and not even having used it that extensively, the last think I expect is to have to change it's mother board because of a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> bad quality power jack which does not detect the adapter type any more for 11000 !

Are you folks insane ? This is a common problem in all Dell laptops not just XPS. Dell MUST recall laptops and replace this for free for all users facing this problem. That is the least you can do. No one will buy Dell laptops in the future if you guys <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> up your customers like this and certainly not me and not my friends and family.

I own Apple devices and have NEVER faced any such issues on any of them which are even 5 to 6 years old and have actually been mishandled over time. Heck I have Toshiba and IBM laptops which are really old and still working fine.

I want you guys to call me and fix the problem. My laptop is barely 1.8 years old and this is NOT a problem I expect to be fighting with. 

No Events found!