Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2014 07:00

Dell XPS 15 windows 7 reinstall problems. Please help!

Hi,
My Dell XPS 15 L521X has recently had some problems. It began when I tried to reinstall Windows 7 using an .iso image on a USB drive. This came with a problem as when I got to the selecting drive screen in the installation, there were no drives to be seen. I somehow managed to do a system restore back to when windows was first installed on my computer, almost 2 years ago now. I wasn't satisfied with this and continued to try to reinstall the OS.

The main problem is that there are no drives ween during the OS installation and I also want to wipe my disks clean. I have backed up everything so anything left on my PC can go if need be. I have tried updating the drivers by downloading and installing from the dell website but some of them refused to install, requiring a much more complicated process or just not starting at all.

I have been looking at multiple places around the internet to try to find a solution to my problem and have tried doing a few, but this seems to have possibly made things worse as now my start up repair option from the bios now leads to a "blue" screen which says "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. of this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen....." and so on. I don't know if you have ever encountered this error before but I have now seen that multiple times. 

I heard that sometimes it is a USB port issue. I have checked and I believe all 3 of my ports are USB 3.0. I know this by looking at the symbols next to each port. They all have this symbol next to the ports.  

Can anyone help with this? Thanks a lot

July 19th, 2014 06:00

Thank you very much. This info was helpful, but after doing the USB stuff in the BIOS, I was unable to boot from a usb flash drive so I booted the install from a DVD. I eventually got to the driver install part, which worked and I was able to see all my disk partitions. 

My problem now is before and after formatting the partitions, I am unable to install on any of them as this error message comes up for two of the partitions selected: "Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error 0x80300001"

For the other two partions which have OEM (reserved) in the "type" column, the error message for them is: "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition was reserved by the computer's Original Equi[ment Manufacturer (OEM)."

Is there any solution for this? Because I have now formatted my hard disks, I now have no windows on my computer at all.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 19th, 2014 10:00

Do not install on an existing partition delete all partitions and then create a new one.

No Events found!