Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 25th, 2013 17:00

Dell XPS 15z - No Screen Display

About a week ago, the screen on my Dell XPS 15z blanked out while on (not in sleep mode) and I've been having trouble getting it to display.   There is a faint blue display on the screen that seems to change slightly as it's processing.  The laptop boots up and I was able to get it to display correctly on an external display.   Since then, I updated the Nvidia graphics driver and the problem was still occurring.  I then tried to update my Intel graphics driver which has now caused the display to no longer work on my external display since the old driver was removed but the new one never installed.  

Based on what I can hear when powering up the laptop, it does still boot up but won't display anywhere.  So far all of the other possible solutions proposed on this site would require me to actually see the screen.  I do have my original disk of drivers/utilities.  Any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue?  How can I try to access the boot menu?  I have quite a few documents I need from this laptop and I don't have a recent backup.  My warranty expired about a year ago.

Thanks!

Ron

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 25th, 2013 17:00

Can you get an image on an external monitor?  If so, use that to make a backup of the system.  If that's the case, the first thing to try is reseating (disconnect and reconnect) both ends of the cable that runs between the display and mainboard. 

If you can't get an image on an external monitor, you have a mainboard issue.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi EJN...thanks for the response.

I was originally able to get an image on an external monitor but that stopped working after the Intel Graphics adapter was removed.  Is that what you would expect to happen or is it unrelated?

Do you know how I can get into the boot menu?  I have seen a few different references to specific function keys to tap while booting but not sure which one is correct.  Also, would you think that I may be able to at least display the boot menu even if I can't get anything to display through Windows?  If I'm able to get to the boot menu, I may be able to update graphics drivers via safe mode or be able to run diagnositics to get drivers updated? 

If nothing else works, is there a way for me to restore default drivers simply that may not require seeing the display?  I'm not really experienced when it comes to laptop repair so would like to exhaust all other possible solutions first.

No Events found!