Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

July 3rd, 2012 19:00

Dell XPS 15z Ultrabook constant high CPU usage

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15z ultrabook and I am noticing that the CPU usage is constantly at 30%-60%. The system has a quad core i7 CPU and the high CPU usage is noticeable on all cores.

I've looked at the performance monitor and the CPU usage is in the NT kernel. I've read that virus scanners can create high CPU usage but I uninstalled McAfee as part of my testing process. I also uninstalled the Dell Stage (don't really want it).

CPU usage like this eventually heats up the CPU and at some point the fan comes on and never really stops.

What could be causing this high CPU usage?

3.8K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Try running a scan on your computer, an infection can cause this as well. Download Malwarebytes available on the internet, and scan and remove infections.

I also suggest you try loading into safe mode, press the F8 key at the Dell Logo, select safe mode, press enter, and check how it performs in safe mode. If it works fine in safe mode, then it could be one of your startup programs. Click on start, in the search box type in msconfig and press enter, click on the Startup Tab on top, to see all the startup programs, either uncheck one program at a time to see which is causing the issue, or click on disable all. Click on apply, ok and restart your computer.

Thank you

6 Posts

December 18th, 2013 04:00

I have had the same problem since my laptop was purchased. The fan runs continually, the temperature is sky high almost too hot to touch. The task Manager shows it seldom goes below 70% CPU and frequently gets to 100% CPU when it becomes unusable. When this happens, the screen/s flicker and freeze and I can do nothing but wait until it stops messing about. It is very frustrating. I have tried many things to resolve it but to no avail. I am a high spender with my laptops, and this is the highest spec I could buy at the time and cost me the most I have ever spent. I always go for the highest business user machines (not gaming machines)but my experience of Dell has led me to conclude that I shall not buy from them again nor recommend them. I am very disappointed as I expected that my XPS15Z would perform well, however it has not..Upgrading from the installed Windows 7 to Windows 8 has not changed it for the better. I consider myself to have a reasonably high understanding and skill level with computers yet I am at a loss to resolve this issue. Looking online indicates that this not an isolated issue and I do not understand why pc manufacturers cannot fix issues like this with their products. It shows a very pool level of professionalism bordering on technical incompetence. 

No Events found!