Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2016 05:00

Dell XPS 16 (1645) system board replacement

Is it possible to get a replacement system board for a Dell XPS 16. My LCD screen is blank, and external monitor shows garbled images, so I am assuming the graphics chip is blown, and as it's integrated, I would need a new system board.

I am UK based, and am happy to fit myself.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2016 07:00

My service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

. I can't run any diagnostics as I have no screen display to use, internal or external, hence the reason I assume I have a graphics chip issue. Attached is the best I get on an external display

1 Attachment

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly run complete diagnostics on the system to check for errors.

Provide us with the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 20th, 2016 10:00

There are a couple of different boards depending on whether you have Intel or ATI video -- you need to replace like for like in order to re-use the existing heatsink-fan assembly.  You can find the exact specifications for your system by using the service tag at the Dell support site in the UK, and then search for a replacement.  It's unlikely you'll find Dell has parts for a system this old -- though others no doubt will have refurbished boards.

Finding a new board for a system this old is going to be impossible - and given the likely cost of a replacement board and the age of the system, you may want to consider replacing rather than repairing this one.

No Events found!