Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2013 19:00

Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Lemon Purchase

If you are thinking of buying or currently own a Dell XPS 17 (L702x) good luck. I purchased my laptop in march 2012 and I personalized the purchase for high end performance. I have had nothing but trouble, pain and suffering, from this unit. I teach technology classes and needed a laptop that could do animation, programming, and video/audio. I thought this unit would be perfect for what I needed to accomplish and so I would not have to live at my campus to prepare lessons and practice using new developments in software. I wanted to spend more time with my family but instead I now spend time trying to get the lemon either fixed or replaced.Since purchasing the laptop I have had to have the DVD R\W replaced 4/29/2012,  wireless adapter and motherboard 3/11/13, motherboard and wireless adapter again 4/2/13, motherboard(again), speakers, and power chord 5/22/13, motherboard(again), keyboard and god only knows next 5/23/13. So far I have had a grand total of 4 wireless adapters, 4 going on 5 motherboards, speakers, DVD writer/reader, power chord, and coming up keyboard replaced on this unit. Still Dell has not replaced the defective unit. I wonder how much money they are willing to sink into this project before they realize it would be cheaper just to replace the unit with a new one. I also hope when the service tech order my keyboard he knew it was back lit or they will be sending another one. I am sincerely upset about everything that has occurred and would like to know if anyone else has experienced such catastrophic results with this particular unit. Did they finally resolve your issue or am I doomed to this for another 3 years?

Help me understand Dell.

1 Message

July 10th, 2013 18:00

This sounds about right to me. 

I am going on my 4th (or is it 5th?) MoBo...when I called to inquire about a replacement I was told there were zero in stock--no surprise there, since Dell is constantly replacing them.

I, too, have also had issues with the power adapter (I think this is adapter #2) and I am on my 3rd power cord.

Oh...and my hard drive failed (probably because of the failing motherboard) two weeks ago as well. Thank goodness I back up fairly regularly or I'd be about suicidal by now. 

I don't think these units are individually lemons as much as the whole manufactured line is. I am hoping someone will file a class action - because if any computer owner group deserves its own litigation class, it's the Dell XPS l702x ownership. 

Just wanted you to know, you aren't alone. I sympathize. 

1 Message

December 21st, 2013 23:00

My L702X is also exhibited random crashes from right out of the box... it can't upgrade to Windows Sp1 without failing, it can't run Dell Diagnostics, Windows Media player crashes constantly,... a virtual ad for buying Hewlett Packard.

No Events found!