Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2013 07:00

Dell XPS 2720 Disk Eject Not Working, on Monitor and on Keyboard?

Hey,

I know I am not the first one asking this question, but unfortunately my brand new XPS 2720 has this problem! My company bought 5 or 6 XPS 2720 for the senior management staff, I noticed that problem too, you touch the eject light at the right bottom corner on monitor, nothing happened; you use the button on keyboard nothing happened?

Feel really strange, this is something so obvious a problem, why there is no solution, did I miss anything? It is very inconvenient, can somebody help me with this?

Thank you!

Cici

2 Posts

September 16th, 2014 11:00

Hi all from Spain, I had the same problem with my new XPS 2720. The eject led in the monitor was always on and didn´t work, didn´t eject. At least in my case the problem began when I updated de DELL OS app to the last version (007) available in the Dell Download Drivers page. I uninstalled the new version, reinstalled the previous one, 006, and the led began to work again as it should (light only when a disc is in, and when pushed the disc is ejected). I hope this will help to all of you.

October 29th, 2013 08:00

Hi xiaoci,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, please try the below mentioned steps to fix the issue.

1. As the disc is inside the computer and when tried ejecting through buttons on Monitor and Keyboard did not work, please restart the computer and tap F2 to get into BIOS and try ejecting the disc there.
2. If the disc is still not ejecting, then restart the computer and on the My computer screen which displays the disc drive, right click on the optical drive and click on Eject and let us know if it ejects the CD.
3. Please install the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers from the Dell’s support website by clicking on the below link:
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

4. Type in the Service tag, under Drivers and downloads select the Operating system and install the BIOS and Chipset drivers on the computer.
5. After the installation restart the computer and please check using the key on the Monitor and also the Eject key from Keyboard.

Please complete these steps and let us know your findings.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2013 20:00

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I restarted the computer and got into BIOS, eject from button on monitor working, button on keyboard not working.

2. log back in, both buttons not working there, checked BIOS and Chipset drivers, all have latest driver installed.

Any further instruction on this issue? Please !

Cici

November 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi xiaoci,

Thank you for your message and apologize for the delay in responding.

As you’ve updated the BIOS and all the drivers and as the Monitor was responding in BIOS screen and keyboard did not. We need to check the same please provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message so that we can check your system information and see what best options are available. To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your Service tag / Express Service code

Let us know if this helps.

6 Posts

December 26th, 2013 20:00

The same is happening to me too.  I had to restore using the windows backup disk, and since my machine didn't come with Dell Backup Drivers Disk, I had to download them through the website.  I installed everything, and updated the BIOS and firmware.  I am having the same results of being able to press and use the eject button during initial power on...but during windows 8.1 it doesn't work.  There are no hardware conflicts listed either in the Device Manager.

I don't know where to turn next.  Can you issue an update that'll correct this problem?  This is a brand new machine...it worked when I first got it.  But after reinstalling windows onto a new disk and using the drivers provided by your website, it doesn't work anymore.

4 Posts

March 20th, 2014 17:00

Heh Cici

Did you ever get a fix to the keyboard eject issue?

On my XPS 2720 the eject on the display works but the one on the keyboard does not.

I have a friend with an XPS 2720, their's the keyboard works and the display eject does not.

The only difference was mine came with windows 8 and I went through the 8 to 8.1 upgrade.

Having both not working sucks even more so give us an update, Dell's tech support (way over there) is guessing, BIOS and drivers have all been updated. Seems we're just keeping them employed by never getting fixes for the problems. This particular problem can be searched and found to go back to 2009.

crazy eh?

pfc

6 Posts

March 21st, 2014 14:00

My computer came with Windows 8 originally and it worked too. Then after all the updates from Dell, puts Windows 8.1...even a touch panel replacement because of touch issues....still no fix.

I can't believe they left their customers which paid nearly $1300-$2000 out in the cold. I guess that's how Dell takes care of their customers. (Broken on arrival computers)

I tried Dell after many years thinking things have changed, but it's still the same. I can't recommend anyone buying Dell products, at least stay far away from this machine.

Have you ever tried installing new video card drivers? Can't do it. Dell locks down your machine from installing updates unless it comes from them. Since updates are slow...you're at the mercy of how much support they will provide.

I didn't know I was buying down a locked down machine until I got it. Good luck trying to find how to solve this eject button problem or any problem on the machine for that matter.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2014 09:00

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HKN1T&fileId=3294250381&osCode=W864&productCode=xps-27-2720-aio&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP

6 Posts

July 17th, 2014 20:00

It simply does not work.  I've done the repair method, the modify method, and the full uninstall method and reinstall method.  Each time restarting my computer.

Yup...doesn't work.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 15:00

I have it as same problem before. I made it. What I did method?  Follow step.... 

1)     restart the computer, tap F2 to get into BIOS version A07, and tap F9 Load Default: press Y

2)     In BIOS: go to menu “Advanced”, “Onboard Device Configuration”, “SATA mode” change to “AHCI” and tap F10 “save & exit”: press Y

3)     Uninstall: OSD Dell and Dell Touch Panel Patch

4)     Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775 for intel chipset driver, install it and restart

5)     Download http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=6F8MC&fileId=3295272790&osCode=W864&productCode=xps-27-2720-aio&languageCode=EN&categoryId=PA for Dell Touch Panel Patch driver, install it and restart.

6)     FINAL: download http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HKN1T&fileId=3294250381&osCode=W864&productCode=xps-27-2720-aio&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP for OSD Dell driver, install it and restart.

I hope it works. 

6 Posts

July 26th, 2014 16:00

I really appreciate people like you that go the extra mile to help solve problems.  You put links to all the files and you wrote specific procedures in order to complete it.  Even making them idiot proof in order to rule out any previous user error.

However...this procedure still did not work.  I truly do not know what is the problem for it not working.  I had a repair person from Dell to replace the screen and other hardware components.  I really fault Dell for all of this being they've lost the driver support needed to specifically target this problem.

Under device mangager even for Display, it's a Generic HDTV driver and not a specific model.  They honestly cut corners with this or brought it to the market too quickly.  And with a $1300 price tag, you'd except more.  But if this problem doesn't get solved, then I'll never buy another Dell product again.  And I'll make sure all of my other friends and family know as well to stay clear from their poor and locked down hardware designs.

Thank you Jonpro122 for all of your help.  I wonder why Dell representatives cannot solve this problem.

1 Message

September 17th, 2014 00:00

WOW!!!!..that did it!!!!...YEAH!!!!!....that SIMPLE solution fixed the problem!. ..THANK YOU!!!...Dell support people could never figure it out after a day on the phone with them...lol..THANKS!!

2 Posts

September 17th, 2014 14:00

You are welcome!!!

6 Posts

December 13th, 2014 15:00

How do I find the old drivers?  The 006?

DELL has to be one of the most worst in customer service.  People pay big money for these high end machines, and they give them the least attention.

6 Posts

December 13th, 2014 16:00

Nevermind, I had to do a google search of their website in order to find it.  It works now.  So what does this mean?  Dell decides to update a piece of software/firmware without doing any testing or checks on the compatibility of the software.  Even with complaints on the board, no one went back to double check if there was a problem occurring on their devices.

Does this mean that their other updates may be corrupted or causing our systems to slow down or potentially break?

No Events found!