Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 13th, 2017 12:00

Dell XPS 9550 Performance Issues

Hi folks,

I have this laptop a few months now and it's steadily gotten worse and worse performance wise.

I am getting regular crashes now also since the recent BIOS and Graphics driver upgrades. I have seen others saying to roll back drivers to stop crashes but I'm hoping for a driver update to sort the crashing.

I'm wondering if I have bigger issues than driver ones, perhaps hardware problems as this thing is running so badly. I firstly noticed big issues running DaVinci Resolve 12.5 where is basically couldn't play a Mavic Pro mp4 where my 2014 MacBook Pro managed it with ease in DaVinci just fine.

I tried to run a diagnostic on Dells support page and it crashed and the laptop rebooted. I then downloaded 3DMark and ran a test and it got 499 or else 4999, I can't remember and it doesn't let you save results. It said that is was basically rubbish, above 1% tests, ***.. I might as well have a 10 yo laptop here...

Has anyone here done benchmarks since the recent driver & BIOS updates and what are you getting? This might help me work out if I have a hardware issue.

Thanks in advance,

Mac

9.4K Posts

April 14th, 2017 04:00

Hi macartanmcquaid,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not performing as well as you would like.  Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2nM12o2

489 Posts

April 14th, 2017 05:00

> I am getting regular crashes now also since the recent BIOS and Graphics driver upgrades. I have seen others saying to roll back drivers to stop crashes but I'm hoping for a driver update to sort the crashing.

For reasons beyond me, you are statistically likely to wait 1-2 months with crashing driving you mad before stable drivers are provided by Dell. There are several threads here reporting instability with the latest Intel HD video drivers .4590

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Please Dell withdraw this driver instantly, because it is being pushed to users via Windows Update, and many don't know how to stop it from loading back after a downgrade ("wushowhide" should work though)!

It is also highly probable that you have another performance issue, like a cooling problem due to heatsink fins clogged with dust or due to poor mounting of the heatsink (requires repasting). Substandard SSD performance is also common, is often improved a lot by turning off RAID (to AHCI) and using a NVMe driver from the SSD manufacturer. But firstly you need to fix driver bugs causing system instability, otherwise you can't tell what is okay and what is not.

April 14th, 2017 05:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply but I already have the latest BIOS installed so I don't think this is the issue.

I've a feeling it might be hardware if nobody else is seeing this. Those 3DMark scores are shocking bad.

If anyone else can run some on the latest BIOS and drivers (except Intel 530 as latest crashes the laptop running the test) and post their scores that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Mac

April 14th, 2017 17:00

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay but I'm only seeing your reply now.

It's definitely not dust or dirt as the laptop has barely been used and when it has it's been on pretty much dust free surfaces.

I will try the driver and BIOS rollbacks you've suggested but I'm not sure if that could have it performing so badly..

I will report back with any progress/findings.

Thanks again,

Mac

April 17th, 2017 14:00

Hi folks,

I'm still no further on with my XPS 15 performance issues.

I tried everything suggested and even got onto Tech Support today also who suggested lots of different suggestions that none of them helped though I'm afraid..

They suggested all the same things already suggested here but there is a new Intel 530 driver that I wasn't aware of, might help others.

downloadmirror.intel.com/.../win64_154516.4627.zip

I no longer get the BSOD crashes but my performance still *** using this driver.

I haven't heard anything back from them since around 4:50 so perhaps they've finished up for the day. Hopefully they've a few more suggestions to try tomorrow.

My 3DMark scores are getting lower and lower so either each driver release is making things worse or the laptop is slowly dying..

I will keep you posted with any further updates from Dell and if anyone has any further suggestions or even can share 3DMark scores on the latest drivers and BIOS then at least I could tell Dell what I should be getting. Today it only achieved 344

Thanks,

Mac

No Events found!