Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2010 09:00

Dell XPS L501X Not recognizing Power Setttings

I have a brand new Dell L501X and It doesn't recognize chagnes I make to the power settings.  It seems to only recongize the default power settings that it came from the factory with.  When I change the Plugged in settings so that it never goes to sleep it still goes to sleep based on the battery setting of about 20 minutes.

I've even tried creating a brand new power profile but nothing seems to work.

Anyone else having this issue?  Could there be something else installed on the laptop htat is overriding the power settings?  I couldn't find any sort of custom Dell app that manages power that could be overriding the OS power settings.

8 Posts

December 21st, 2010 21:00

Go to Power Options and check the settings in "Power Smart Energy Savings".

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 09:00

it ended up being the facial recognition software.  It has the option to manage the power settings over the OS power settings management.  I must have clicked yes when setting up the facial recognition software. 

211 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 10:00

Exactly. Power Smart is designed to save power and extend battery life by taking agressive power saving measures when your face is not visible. It does this by moving Windows from the "Balanced" power mode to the "Power Saver" power mode when your face leaves view of the camera (and then back again when your face returns to view). It changes the timer settings in the Power Saver mode according to the preset or timer values you choose in the Power Smart section of the FastAccess (facial recognition) management console. You DO have a few good options if you want to continue using the facial recognition or if you want to use Power Smart to save energy instead of the Windows controls. 

• Keep FastAccess enabled but disable Power Smart. 
  • Enable both FastAccess and Power Smart but if you don't want the computer to sleep you can still have Power Smart save energy by dimming and turning off the display. Either choose a Power Smart mode with a very longer sleep timer (like "Downloading / Charging Mode")  or select "Custom Saving Mode" and enter sleep timers of "0". This will disable sleep altogether while keeping the "Screen OFF Timer" active and set to whatever time value you want. I've personally found a fairly short screen off timer (I use 15 seconds) combined with keeping the "Screen turns on when face is in view" option enabled provides some power savings even without sleep while still remaining convenient to use overall.

I hope this helps. 

13 Posts

March 9th, 2011 20:00

Hi, Can someone please tell me where I can download a face recognition software for my DELL XPS 15 (L501X)? Much appreciated..

211 Posts

March 10th, 2011 05:00

If your machine shipped with FastAccess pre-installed, you can typically register at Dell's "SmartSource" website with your service tag number and download an authorized installation file. You may also call Dell tech support and request that they ship you a replacement installation CD. Here is the online FAQ with details. 

If you did not have FastAccess pre-installed, then you can download a trial copy directly from Sensible Vision here

13 Posts

March 10th, 2011 06:00

An EXCELLENT answer to my Qn.. T\hank you VERY MUCH.. Now I know what needs to be done.. Hope I can help you sometime as well.. THANKS AGAIN 

13 Posts

March 10th, 2011 22:00

Hi friend, I got FastAccess installed on my laptop.. The info you provided was 100% accurate and was EXTREMELY helpful :D THANK YOU.. 

211 Posts

March 11th, 2011 05:00

You're very welcome. Glad to help. 

13 Posts

March 12th, 2011 20:00

Hi. I made a post on maximising audio on the XPS 15, Please comment on that post or reply to this...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19369414/19840351.aspx#19840351

Hi, I am ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY with the JBL 2.1 speakers in the L501X but I am interested in knowing if there are any tweaks, softwares, driver updates which can boost the audio from the JBL 2,1 even more..

Having tweaked with the Waves Maxx Audio settings I find that the audio is BEST when the Preset on Waves Maxx is set to 'Movies' and the Waves Maxx equalizer is set to 'Movies' as well.. Anyone else have any tips on how to boost the audio quality? Any ideas on how to improve the subwoofer quality? Is there any surface which improves the BASS of the subwoofer?

Thanks

XPrienS

No Events found!