glsmas1
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS L501X - Slow Startup - New Laptop takes more than 2 minutes to boot up

I don't know what the heck Qranger is saying because the brand new Dell XPS 15 (L501x) that I am using right at this moment says -- by right-clicking the desktop and clicking "Screen Resolution" -- that it's set on 1920x1080 resolution (recommended).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372137,00.asp

0 Kudos
madison1137
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS L501X - Slow Startup - New Laptop takes more than 2 minutes to boot up

GLSMAS1 - Can you tell me your startup time?  How long does it take from the time you push the power button until the Dell Doc appears?  Or  even - how long does it take from the welcome screen to the Dell Doc? 

As I mentioned in the opening posts, mine is taking 2 minutes and 20 seconds.  A tech came to replace my harddrive, but that hasn't fixed the problem. The startup time - even with no programs added - is over 2 minutes. So, can you please tell me if this is normal for this laptop?

In response to the person asking about 1080p resolution.  Mine has 1080 res - but I've noticed that the latest XPS offering on the site doesn't include this option anymore.  I"m guessing they change the options quite frequently.

0 Kudos
glsmas1
1 Nickel

With typing in my password, mine takes about a minute to get from the Dell logo to the desktop. I disabled the dock.

Have you tried typing msconfig into the search programs box and under "startup" uncheck unwanted programs that don't need to start with Windows?

0 Kudos
Phylter00
1 Nickel

I think that Qranger is saying that it's not an option for configuration anymore. It was available but isn't right now. This could be for a couple of reason, one being they are low on stock for the 1080p screens and the other could be that they are having issues with them. It's most likely that they are low or out of stock.

0 Kudos
dpfranz
1 Copper

Well, that's odd. I just ordered an XPS 15 (XPS L501X). They say it is coming with a 1920x1200 WLED display. Maybe they're nutty. But if I get a seven hundred and something vertical rez display, it's going right back.

0 Kudos
Phylter00
1 Nickel

I doubt they would say it's coming with that screen if it isn't. They have to give you what you paid for.

0 Kudos
Annasui
1 Copper

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hiemzev
1 Copper

Dang - after reading these posts, I am having some serious worries about the XPS L501X that I just ordered. It is scheduled to be here on the 5th of January, '11. I ordered this one with a 256 gig SSD. I will let ya'll know how it stands up to what I have read.

0 Kudos
veekayji
1 Copper

Soluto might help with improving your boot time (but use it at your own risk):

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/could-be-future-pc-troubleshooting.htm

Personally, I would not rely on third-party apps to decide my boot-time startup apps. Here are my recommendations:

1. Remove McAfee:

Why Dell wants to charge us a premium on their high-end laptops, and give us crappy trial software is beyond me.
    At least they can ship it with Microsoft Security Essentials instead of McAfee (MS recently released its v2 of MSE, which is now a very good product).

Remove McAfee, either immediately or (if you prefer) after its tiny trial period is over. Antivirus software are known to cause boot delays.
    You will need to download the McAfee Cleaner tool from the McAfee site, as its default uninstall doesn't remove its traces completely.

Unlike, earlier versions of McAfee, the recent version is stable and highly unobtrusive, but I would recommend
    Norton/Kaspersky/NOD32 (paid) or Avast/Outpost/MSE (free) instead.

Avast is the leanest of the free antivirus (with a ton of features, including network/web/p2p/email shields), and Outpost recently released their Security Suite as free.
    Do not install Comodo as their virusdef updates process is frequently broken. Outpost has best virus detection and good firewall, and Avast/MSE are easy to use.
    Some people will recommend Avira or AVG, but in my opinion, Avast is better than them considering its feature set (with MSE/Outpost as secondary scanner).

2. Don't remove Dell Dock, just disable it from startup:

The Dell Dock is a special software that comes only with Dell machines.

Dell actually got a customized version of this dock built by StarDock Software
    (the guys behind the popular WindowBlinds and Object Dock UI-customization apps).
    If you want, you can use CCleaner or Winpatrol to disable the Dell Dock from running at startup. You can get these apps on FileHippo.com.

In fact, it is a wise decision by Dell to introduce the Dock, as many home users will be new to Windows 7,
    and it is a handy tool for those who may be uncertain territory on their first Win7 bootup, trying to find their familiar shortcuts and apps.

In my experience, the Dell Dock doesn't add much time to the startup and its memory overhead is very minimal, so just disable it for the time being.

3. Disable the FastAccess Face Recognition:

This is another great app provided by Dell, again targeted at home users. You can use it to log into Windows, log into websites etc.
    It does have a bit of an overhead, but for a facial recognition software, it is one of the best (its makers Sensible Vision are very helpful to customers).
    I don't understand why Dell does not like to provide a fingerprint-reader, as it is much faster than facial recognition.

But we must also acknowledge that families with kids would prefer a easy-to-understand-facial-recognition-software
    rather than a slightly-cumbersome-to-setup fingerprint scanner. FastAccess does not have a proper disable functionality, so disable its startup exe
    and leave its background services as is, especially if you want to be able to use it later.

4.  Disable Roxio:

Roxio Burn and Cyberlink PowerDVD are shipped with the XPS, and are used for multimedia (CD/DVD/Blu-ray and media playback).
    Uninstall Roxio, and disable any startup services used by PowerDVD.
    You can find good alternatives to PowerDVD like MPlayer, KMPlayer, and ImgBurn instead of Roxio Burn.

5. Clean and Defragment your HDD:

Regularly use CCleaner (and occasionally Defraggler) and to keep your PC in shape.

0 Kudos
veekayji
1 Copper

Soluto might help with improving your boot time (but use it at your own risk):

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/could-be-future-pc-troubleshooting.htm

Personally, I would not rely on third-party apps to decide my boot-time startup apps. Here are my recommendations:

1. Remove McAfee:

Why Dell wants to charge us a premium on their high-end laptops, and give us crappy trial software is beyond me.
    At least they can ship it with Microsoft Security Essentials instead of McAfee (MS recently released its v2 of MSE, which is now a very good product).

Remove McAfee, either immediately or (if you prefer) after its tiny trial period is over. Antivirus software are known to cause boot delays.
    You will need to download the McAfee Cleaner tool from the McAfee site, as its default uninstall doesn't remove its traces completely.

Unlike, earlier versions of McAfee, the recent version is stable and highly unobtrusive, but I would recommend
    Norton/Kaspersky/NOD32 (paid) or Avast/Outpost/MSE (free) instead.

Avast is the leanest of the free antivirus (with a ton of features, including network/web/p2p/email shields), and Outpost recently released their Security Suite as free.
    Do not install Comodo as their virusdef updates process is frequently broken. Outpost has best virus detection and good firewall, and Avast/MSE are easy to use.
    Some people will recommend Avira or AVG, but in my opinion, Avast is better than them considering its feature set (with MSE/Outpost as secondary scanner).

2. Don't remove Dell Dock, just disable it from startup:

The Dell Dock is a special software that comes only with Dell machines.

Dell actually got a customized version of this dock built by StarDock Software
    (the guys behind the popular WindowBlinds and Object Dock UI-customization apps).
    If you want, you can use CCleaner or Winpatrol to disable the Dell Dock from running at startup. You can get these apps on FileHippo.com.

In fact, it is a wise decision by Dell to introduce the Dock, as many home users will be new to Windows 7,
    and it is a handy tool for those who may be uncertain territory on their first Win7 bootup, trying to find their familiar shortcuts and apps.

In my experience, the Dell Dock doesn't add much time to the startup and its memory overhead is very minimal, so just disable it for the time being.

3. Disable the FastAccess Face Recognition:

This is another great app provided by Dell, again targeted at home users. You can use it to log into Windows, log into websites etc.
    It does have a bit of an overhead, but for a facial recognition software, it is one of the best (its makers Sensible Vision are very helpful to customers).
    I don't understand why Dell does not like to provide a fingerprint-reader, as it is much faster than facial recognition.

But we must also acknowledge that families with kids would prefer a easy-to-understand-facial-recognition-software
    rather than a slightly-cumbersome-to-setup fingerprint scanner. FastAccess does not have a proper disable functionality, so disable its startup exe
    and leave its background services as is, especially if you want to be able to use it later.

4.  Disable Roxio:

Roxio Burn and Cyberlink PowerDVD are shipped with the XPS, and are used for multimedia (CD/DVD/Blu-ray and media playback).
    Uninstall Roxio, and disable any startup services used by PowerDVD.
    You can find good alternatives to PowerDVD like MPlayer, KMPlayer, and ImgBurn instead of Roxio Burn.

5. Clean and Defragment your HDD:

Regularly use CCleaner (and occasionally Defraggler) to keep your PC in shape.

0 Kudos