Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2013 02:00

Dell XPS L502X stuck at cursor blinking after dell logo

I have a DELL XPS L502X laptop. Its only a year and a half old. 

Today morning when i tried to start it,  it just showed me the dell logo and then a cursor is keeping on blinking at the top left corner of the screen.

I have tried everything i could

1. removed the battery and AC adapter. discharged it by holding down the power button. and then via AC Power tried starting... 

2. Diagnostics from F12 didnt show any issue

3. I have the latest bios version and hard disk is recognised in bios under Fixed HDD

4. Boot priority is set to HDD 

5. resetting the bios

but nothing worked....

is there anything  else i can do???

i have seen many issues with many laptops.. but this is confusing me... i cant even figure out what is the cause of this problem...

October 5th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your help...

I finally fixed the issue yesterday... Sorry couldn't post back.

As you said the boot sector could have been corrupted. So as i said i had my laptop to be dual booted.

And so i had the linux grub which i used to choose the OS, so according to what u said and i assumed it might have somehow gotten corrupted. So anyways hoping that windows hadn't been affected i just used a windows 7 DVD and in repair mode fixed the bootmbr from the command promt

For anyone who might face this issue...the step by step procedure is as follows,

1. Insert Windows 7 disc
2. set boot order to disc at first priority
3. reboot, wait for installer to load
4. select language and keyboard type and click continue
5. DO NOT CLICK INSTALL, instead click repair my computer in the bottom left corner
6. click troubleshoot
7. click advanced
8. click command prompt and enter the commands below.

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

And thats it, rebooted the system and it booted into windows, As of now i am working on windows, so i can settle without linux for the time being.

But... i Still have a question to ask, As i said, right now i am using windows regularly, i.e its been a while since i even booted the linux OS. Then how can it get corrupted.  And that too all of a sudden, just before this issue occured i was using windows and i hibernated it before going to sleep. And Next thing i know in the morning is that my system wont boot up. Should i be worried about my HDD crashing in the future??  

October 5th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your help...

I finally fixed the issue yesterday... Sorry couldn't post back.

As you said the boot sector could have been corrupted. So as i said i had my laptop to be dual booted.

And so i had the linux grub which i used to choose the OS, so according to what u said and i assumed it might have somehow gotten corrupted. So anyways hoping that windows hadn't been affected i just used a windows 7 DVD and in repair mode fixed the bootmbr from the command promt

For anyone who might face this issue...the step by step procedure is as follows,

1. Insert Windows 7 disc
2. set boot order to disc at first priority
3. reboot, wait for installer to load
4. select language and keyboard type and click continue
5. DO NOT CLICK INSTALL, instead click repair my computer in the bottom left corner
6. click troubleshoot
7. click advanced
8. click command prompt and enter the commands below.

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

And thats it, rebooted the system and it booted into windows, As of now i am working on windows, so i can settle without linux for the time being.

But... i Still have a question to ask, As i said, right now i am using windows regularly, i.e its been a while since i even booted the linux OS. Then how can it get corrupted.  And that too all of a sudden, just before this issue occured i was using windows and i hibernated it before going to sleep. And Next thing i know in the morning is that my system wont boot up. Should i be worried about my HDD crashing in the future??  

I still have warranty on my laptop. But as no diagnostics or tests shows that there is a hardware failure, still could there be such a possibility?

1.5K Posts

Hi alfie.max15,

Please share the Operating System installed.

It appear that the Windows is corrupt. Please make sure that there is no external peripheral devices (USB Drive, Printer) connected to the system and there is no CD/DVD in the optical drive. Restart the system and check if it boots to Windows. If not then you will need to re-install the Windows on the system using the Recovery Media if created when you purchased the system or Windows re-installation Media.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

I have windows 7 home premium and also running a linux operating system.

So my question is that after the dell logo is shown it usually gives me the OS selection grub menu.

Instead it is not even showing this. 

Ok, lets say the operating system is corrupted... how did both of the OS get corrupted ??st

and if windows was corrupted or even both, it should show an error message like "NO operating system found"

and if the grub was corrupted then it should show "grub rescue>"  prompt....

Then how can it be an OS issue....?

1.5K Posts

October 5th, 2013 00:00

Hi alfie.max15,

Thank you for sharing the information.

As you have mentioned that the diagnostics have passed, this indicates that there is no hardware failure. Hence, if you are getting a black screen with a blinking cursor on powering on the system, it is either the Windows which is corrupt or the boot sector which is corrupted. If the boot sector is corrupt, you will not get the 'No operating system found' error or Operating System selection menu.

What best you can try is removing and reseating the hard drive, which may or may not help. Please refer to the Service Manual of this system for instructions on assembling and dis-assembling the hardware components. Follow the 'Safety Guidelines' listed on the manual to help protect your computer from potential damage and to help ensure your own personal safety.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

1.5K Posts

October 8th, 2013 03:00

Hi alfie.max15,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. I appreciate your expertise and thank you for sharing the resolution with us.

There can be many reasons which may cause the boot sector to go corrupt such as virus, registry error, software issue, etc. As, there is no error appearing while performing hardware diagnostics, you can ignore replacing the hard drive as it is functioning correctly. Though it is always recommended to backup your data from time to time.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future. I'll be happy to assist you.

1 Message

August 9th, 2014 11:00

Unplugged all USB devices & booted. It worked. Why did the computer suddenly have that happen? I have run AVG. No viruses. Is the cause known and can it be fixed? I have a Dell XPS running Windows 7.

No Events found!