Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

February 17th, 2015 14:00

Dell XPS L502x Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Drive not recognizing discs

I have a Dell XPS L502x laptop with Windows 7.  A few months back my optical drive stopped reading/writing discs.  My laptop was still under warranty so I got a new drive from Dell.  Now, my new drive is not reading discs all of a sudden.  I can't even run Dell diagnostics on it because when the diagnostic says "please insert data CD" and I insert a data cd, it keeps telling me to insert a disc and then the test comes back and says "no media" even though I inserted a data cd.  I've tried updating the firmware and it says the firmware is already up to date.  I've tried uninstalling the optical drive through device manager, shutting down and rebooting the system to have it reinstall.  Still no dice.  What am I missing?  Is there anything to do besides throw the computer against a wall?!  I'm very frustrated, especially since the drive is only like 3 months old, but now my system is out of warranty.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2015 17:00

lilkel34,

Did you install Windows 7 codecs?

Try reading...

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Rick

33 Posts

March 8th, 2015 21:00

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.  I read the article you attached and tried all of the fixes listed (except the last one, creating a registry key.)

First, there are no yellow exclamation points in device manager.  According to the computer, the drive is recognized and working properly.

I tried resolution #1-using the hardware troubleshooter.  Once in Control Panel-Hardware and Sound, there was no choice to "configure a device."  I ran the troubleshooters in there anyway, none did troubleshooting for the drive.  Plus, I have previously run the Dell troubleshooters for the optical drive and gotten no where because it won't recognize discs so the troubleshooters fail saying I have no media installed.

Resolution #2-I downloaded the Windows troubleshooter linked there and ran it.  Its response?  "Media in the CD/DVD drive is not readable."  I know for a fact the disc I had inserted was readable as I used a disc I had just tested as good in my other laptop.

Resolution #3-manually fix corrupted registry.  I went to the registry key listed and there were no entries there titled "Upper Filters" or "Lower Filters" to delete.

Resolution #4-I've attempted uninstalling the drive in device manager and rebooting the system for it to reinstall itself numerous times to no avail.

Again, the computer recognizes the drive and claims it is functioning properly, but the drive is not recognizing discs.  I'm not sure if I can call Dell and ask for a new drive again, even though this new drive they sent is only a few months old, because my system is now out of warranty.  I just find it very hard to believe that the drive would fail that soon after replacement.  I was really hoping the fact that the drive does not recognize discs was some sort of software issue.  

When I insert a disc, it makes noises like it is trying to read it, tries like 3 times, then just stops trying.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

I have the same problem in my XPSL502. The drive is correctly instaled, but don't read any CD or DVD. I think that the problem is with the DVD drive. I didn't know that Dell Hardware were so bad. :-(

No Events found!