Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2013 15:00

Dell XPS L502x Freeze - Hard Reset Required

I bought my Dell XPS 15" last May, and it has been preforming absolutely fantastically so far.

However, just recently, my computer started to freeze during game play.  I play intensive games like Skyrim (on High settings) and Far Cry 3, but recently it even crashes on games like Torchlight.  I have the Nvidia GeForce 540m, fully updated drivers, etc.  I suspect it could be an overheating problem since my temps get to around 90C on both my cpu cores and around 88C on my GPU.  Like I said earlier, I was able to play the exact same games on the EXACT same settings around a month ago.  I even did a full format of my hard drive and reinstalled windows, but the problem persists.  I tried to call Dell Support today, but all they did was tell me it is a virus (highly unlikely) and told me I had to buy the $19.99 Dell Support Package if I wanted help with my problem.

Things I've heard about this specific issue:

- It's very common among this model of laptop

- It could need a motherboard replacement, but it only worked under warranty and only for some people

- It probably isn't a dust buildup

- It could be overheating

So anyway - my computer locks up, the sound stutters uncontrollably, and my only option is to do a hard reset. Any suggestions for a solution?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2013 16:00

If you have never disassembled a notebook you're likely better off having a shop do the job.  The service manual is here:

ftp.dell.com/.../xps-15_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Hi Brian,

As suggested by ejn63, please try running diagnostics to verify hardware functionality.

If the diagnostics pass, you may also try updating the video drivers. Please uninstall older nVidia driver first followed by Intel driver from Control Panel -> Uninstall a program.

Your system is shipped with Optimus configuration, the Intel driver needs to be updated first followed by nVidia driver. For more information, you may refer to article Here. Though the article talks about Alienware systems, however it is applicable to all systems equipped with optimus technology.

You may download/install the drivers from Here -> Enter the service tag of your system ->  Select the operating system -> Install Intel driver first followed by nVidia driver.

You may also try updating BIOS from Here and see if it helps. 

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged.
*Battery charger should be connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

If the issue persists, the issue might be with hardware and heatsink and fan might require replacement. If the system is under warranty, please share the Service Tag and name on account via Private Message (Click on my name and click Start Conversation). Will look into the details and determine further course of action.

If comfortable, you may also try reseating heatsink and fan and apply thermal compound as suggested by ejn63 and see if it helps.

Note : Please follow safety instructions given in manual before removing/installing parts.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

That's what I suspected.  I tried to clear out dust earlier today, but to be honest, I have no idea where the heatsink is or what it looks like.  Yes, the fan is running properly, at about 100% constantly to make up for the heat.  Thank you for your information, but in addition, could you like me to pages that would help me find and clean my heatsink? Also, resources about replacing the thermal pad would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

~Brian

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The system is throttling due to excessive heat.  Clean the heatsink - any dust on it will cause it to stop doing its job.  If that doesn't help, is the fan running properly?  Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup.

If the fan runs OK and the heatsink is clean, replace the thermal pad that sits between the CPU and heatsink.

No Events found!