Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2011 00:00

Dell XPS L502x fan and charger issue

I have two separate issues with my L502x laptop and I hope I can solve them really fast.

1. My fan does not want to work. The CPU is constantly at about 80 degrees, I hear some sort of warning sound coming from the CPU but the fan refuses to start.. I tried speedfan to make it start but that didn't work. Dell doesn't seem to have any application that allows me to control the fan speed and I don't know what to do. It turned off a couple of times and ... How can I controll the fan speed?

2. The laptop refuses to recognize the charger. I have the original charget that came with the laptop and when I boot up I get a warning telling me that it doesn not recognize the charger. Now Windows refuses to charge my battery but the laptop seems to be working fine for now. How can I solve this? Thanks.

2 Posts

December 11th, 2011 09:00

Nobody ... ?

41 Posts

December 14th, 2011 15:00

Those are hardware issues. If you are still in your warranty period, make a service call. I doubt that anyone here can help you with that.

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 09:00

80 degrees?? My temps range from 160-215! (i7 2620M). My problem must be different.

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 10:00

[well duh to me! lol] .. You are correct Phonemes. Forgive my 'faux pas' in my assumption of Fahrenheit.

To explain to any who have interest,

Later the very same week that my warranty expired, my fan began making a strange, almost grinding noise (it sounds like bearings or something). Anyway, the same week my warranty expires it starts with the noise (in addition to the fan's constant running and/or on-off-on-off... syndromes) and now all cores & hdd etc just stay hot (160+F).

The fan spins and seems to run its same/similar cycles as always (the "syndromes" I mentioned earlier), but now it's creating a strange noise and no longer cooling adequately.

I dl'd SpeedFan but it won't recognize the fan (even after selecting the "Dell" option in the settings) but I have it set to ramp the fan to 100% upon exiting the program. Which comes in handy when it reaches above boiling temps, I shut off the app and restart it and the fan will run at what it must think 100% is for maybe a minute then does its own thing again (including overheating). I can't even stream Netflix without it causing me to stop 20 times for manual cooling efforts and I've been fighting with this issue since April.

The way Dell has the fan positioned, it will take a "Dell Tech" to even access it, so I'm not sure how I'll go about solving this. I got in a car wreck and my settlement check bought the PC, but I can't work anymore because of the wreck and obviously cannot afford to have a Dell Tech do the work.

It's a shame that I have never, in my life, purchased anything but a Dell, and now I don't think I'll be buying one again (unless I can somehow convince Dell to take care of this issue for me).

I spent over $1800.USD, and a matter of a few days after warranty expiration, it acts up! NOT COOL! (no pun intended lol).

Funny thing is, I originally (REALLY) wanted the 17", I was dead set on purchasing the L702X but opted for the L502X specifically due to overheating issues I kept reading about everywhere online with the L702X.

Seems as though that very same fate was most inevitable and seemingly meant to be for me.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 10:00

Must be degrees Fahrenheit, as opposed to Celcius. Your temps would be 71-101 Celcius.

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 11:00

As for the charger not recognized. I have had that message pop up before and it went away after I took it out and put it back in a few times. Have u tried GENTLY wiggling it? or putting it in with a slight angle to it? You could also try cleaning the jack & plug.

Personally, I think it's a minor flaw in the design & placement of the jack on the pc itself and also with the plug part of the cable.

To explain, if the desk/surface the pc is on does not have adequate depth, the cord will hang with all of its own weight, pulling on the power jack and stressing its connection on the inside (to the motherboard I assume).

The jack should fit more securely, or lock/latch in for stability (similar to a large headphone or microphone jack/plug).

Also, I think the plug itself should be remodeled to maximize the hold provided by the snapping in/locking mechanism. Upon insertion of the cord, the plug & jack should click or snap into place and lock. The plug should also be redesigned to exit the jack/casing at a 90 degree angle so the cord can be manipulated to rest parallel to the machine rather than perpendicular.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

If you are are a handy person, the notebookreview forum has a good post about repasting the l502x. It explains how to disassemble the notebook and how to get to the fan. Not an easy task, but it's a good explanation with lots of pictures illustrating how to go about the task. http://tinyurl.com/cydsmwt

No Events found!