Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 2nd, 2014 03:00

Dell XPS L701X, Blue Screen of Death

Hi there,

I have a laptop (Dell XPS L701X) that arrived at my home in January of 2011. Its never given me any troubles except for very random Blue Screen of Death occurrences that started about three months ago. The exact error message that is displayed on the BSOD is:

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

There seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing and when the BSOD will appear. I do play an online game called EverQuest quite often, so most of my crashes are when I try to zone into another map/area of the game. However, like I said, that's just because of how frequently I play the game and it's by no means the only time when I crash. I've received the BSOD plenty of other times when the game wasn't even opened and I was simply browsing random internet websites (gaming forums, eBay, etc.). It will just freeze up entirely, display the blue screen, force me to hard boot and it will then start up as if nothing ever happened.

This went on for approximately the past three months up to and including about three weeks ago. In this instance, the BSOD (same error message as always) displayed and prevented me from starting up Windows after I hard booted. Instead of running Windows, it ran the Windows Startup Repair Utility and told me that there was an error that was unable to be fixed and that I should contact my system administrator. Upon seeing this I took it to a computer repair shop which told me I had 48KB of "bad sector" on the hard drive and that it needed to be replaced. This was the only issue they could see and told me that it was likely the main problem.

A new hard drive later (which I told them not to copy over an image of my old hard drive just in case the problem was software related) and I found myself crashing to the same BSOD literally ten minutes after getting the laptop home from the shop. Quite frustrated, I started doing Google searches like crazy. Every single result told me to:

1. Remove any additional RAM/memory that wasn't factory-installed
  2. Stop overclocking the processor
  3. Stop dual-booting
  4. Run CPU stress tests to determine if it's a processor hardware error
  5. Run RAM/memory stress tests to determine if it's a memory error

... so I did. Suggestions one, two and three do not apply to me as I do not have any additional RAM/memory installed and I do not overclock or dual boot. Stress tests performed on the CPU and the memory (from two separate programs on each piece of hardware) told me that everything was running normal and that there were no suspected issues. Sure enough, however, thirty minutes after searching for more suggestions, I locked up and blue screened. Ugh.

I have all of the crash reports and DMP files if anyone would be interested in seeing those. However, they don't seem to help much because I'm not particularly well versed with hardware and Google searches don't really bring back information that's different from what I've read before. Since I don't seem to be able to upload attachments, feel free to just leave your e-mail and I can forward them to you.

My last ditch effort will be to obtain a new PSU for the laptop. Like I said before, however, I'm not particularly well versed with hardware so it's my understanding that a PSU for a laptop is simply an external AC adapter cable/plug feeding from the wall outlet to the laptop. If for some reason this has become defective and it's not  producing proper voltage, I'm guessing that could cause errors that lead to hardware failure and blue screens and all of that. Please do correct me if I'm wrong or if you have any other ideas as to what would be causing this.

Thanks a lot in advance and I appreciate the time and support!

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 18:00

Hi

Did you have solve your problem ? I have the SAME problem and the same symptom!! It crash at anytime and I have the same error...

AND I HAVE BOUGHT MY COMPUTER IN SAME TIME JANUARY 2011 !!!

Something wrong with this lot ? 

what you have do ?

2 Posts

April 30th, 2014 05:00

@EricBP, I'm sorry to hear you're having the same trouble :(

To answer your question, no, I unfortunately have not resolved my issue at all. I took my laptop back to the computer shop that originally replaced the HDD and they told me that they had no clue at all what could be wrong with it. The best guess that they were able to provide me with is that it was faulty hardware that was failing more and more, but they were unable to provide me with the specific piece of hardware that was at fault because of all the tests I ran that came back normal.

Because the frequency of crashes just got worse and worse, I tried to contact Dell for some hardware support but in the long run it was honestly cheaper to get an entirely new PC because I no longer had a warranty for my old laptop. It kind of sucks, but that was the route I was forced to take.

If I can suggest anything at all, I would try getting in touch with some sort of Computer Engineer or programmer or something along those lines that knows hardware very well. The computer shop sure wasn't able to help me and unfortunately the crashing only kept getting more frequent as time went on (and eventually it led to Windows not being able to start up at all). If there's someone that really knows what they're doing, I'd love to find out what was wrong, but unfortunately I don't have any other answers for you at all :(.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2014 09:00

We were having the same problems - BSOD and overheating. We followed the instructions below, cleaned the fan and lint filter, and replaced the Thermal paste.

It has been about two hours now, and the computer is running perfectly. Fan is not making noise, running at a normal temperature and hasn't frozen up or turned to blue screen. It had been doing it constantly. My husband was about ready to throw it out the window. NOW it seems to be working.

I recommend following this link, and giving it a try.  

How to disassemble Dell XPS 17 L701X

(we found this on the internet)

Hope it helps! 

No Events found!