Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2011 01:00

Dell XPS L702X Touchpad Issue

Hi, So I've read multiple topics that deal with the touchpad not working, but none seem to have a consistent solution. I just received my new XPS L702X and the touchpad does not work properly. It will act normal for a few minutes then become stuck and not really move or move erratically. I turn the trackpad off and then turn it back on and it's normal again, but only for a few minutes until it repeats the process. I've followed all the steps (turn trackpad off and on, disable features in synaptics, and my drivers are up to date). Anyone have a solution? -Zach

31 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 05:00

are the drivers you are using from the dell website or from some other website?

December 22nd, 2011 06:00

I am having the same issue. i have installed the updated the Dell SRV,DRVR,TPAD,SYNAPTICS,N4110 version A0115.3.22.0 and there is no improvement. Annoying using an external mouse for a laptop

31 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 11:00

I think you should download the drivers from another site and not from the dell website.

You will most likely need synaptics touchpad drivers and if you do here is a link of where to download them:
http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Pick the correct Operating system from the list of course and install the drivers, restart your computer to see if it has any positive effect.

If not then the opposite approach of deleting all drivers and letting windows use its default built in drivers may be better.

December 22nd, 2011 11:00

i haven't changed the drivers, they are the dell drivers that came, and since it's so new they are the most up to date drivers

December 23rd, 2011 01:00

I have deleted all drivers associated with the touch pad (even the windows drivers which doesn't work too great either) I then installed the 'latest' synaptics driver (didn't make any difference) so I found a newer version from dell www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats and installed that. It now behaves better but I am wary so will monitor the situation closely.

December 25th, 2011 18:00

thanks guys I'll try those tips

March 12th, 2012 10:00

In the end I contacted Dell hardware support. The laptop was still under basic warranty and a Dell engineer replaced the touchpad. The problem was fixed after that and I have not had the issue since.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2012 10:00

Hi Everyone,

I've tried all those tips. Unfortunately, my touchpad require other solution (I have model XPS 702x with Windows 7 64bit). In the beginning I tried to change touchpad settings: sensitivity, I switched off: all application gestures, one and two fingers scrolling, "tap and drag" feature, rotating, zooming and so on. All those attempts didn't change anything. Pointer freezes and i can't  do any move, or sometimes pointer moves only horizontally. Because I'm not only one, who has this problem, on the forum I've found two ways how to wake up the pointer: 1) tap in the middle of the touchpad 2) switched off/on touchpad. Both these solutions work (ridiculous but true) only a few minutes/seconds. Also, I tried to use drivers from Synaptics website and newest Dell's drivers - it doesn't help. Situation repeats randomly and i have no idea how to fix it. Maybe there is some collision with other application, maybe there is problem with driver, maybe, maybe... I've been using my new laptop for three weeks. It's great machine with excellent features and this small but very irritating issue. Is there anyone who has other idea or recipe how to fix it?

Best Regards,

Vidius

English is not my native language, and I want to apologise for all mistakes :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for advice. Yesterday, I decided call Dell hardware support and today I had appointment with Dell engineer. He replaced touchpad and  now it works fine. I'm happy with Dell support-excellent communication, fast and right decision, quick response and on time.

Thanks

5 Posts

June 10th, 2012 12:00

After screwing around with this same problem for almost two weeks and countless hours on the phone with Dell support. Update this driver, that driver, flash the BIOS yada yada yada to no avail. The only suggestion was "reinstall windows."  I rejected this solution because reinstalling windows is what broke this functionality. 

I finally pointed out to the tech that there was much about this problem in the blogosphere, including this DELL forum.  He looked at this entry and we installed the TP driver noted and it solved my problem.  This is actually now an older version but hey.   KUDOS!!!

No Events found!