Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2012 08:00

Dell XPS L702X, spilt orange juice on the keyboard and now the keyboard and laptop do not work

Hey,

Just some information about my machine:

I got it in India, it runs windows 7 (64 bit) and it is a Dell XPS L702X. 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive space (2 hard drives), Intel i7 2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz

I am posting this from my brothers laptop (he has the EXACT same laptop)

Yesterday i spilt orange juice on my laptop by accident, and when i tried to turn it on it gave me the following message on a completely black background along with a non-stop, extremely high pitched, unbearable noise:

****Manufacturing Mode Level [01]*****

Press Fn-X to return to normal mode

I then pressed fn+x repeatedly until the laptop booted during which the high pitched noise disappeared, however when it reached the login page (where you choose a user and login) the noise returned.

I was able to click on a user to select one, but when i tried to input my password non of my key strokes were registered. There was absolutely nothing on my keyboard that was working. I tried turning up the brightness (fn+f5), turning it down (fn+f4), basically pressing every possible key. Non were registered.

I then shut it back down, and tried rebooting. I got the same very high pitched noise, the same Manufacturing mode level [01] error, and when i tried pressing fn+x to boot normally, nothing happened and the screen switched to an all black screen saying: 

Windows boot manager

Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:

(use the arrow keys to highlight your choice then press ENTER.)

windows 7                                                                               >

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press f8

Tools:

windows memory diagnostic

And once again the high pitched noise persists, and i cannot use any of my keyboard keys.

I have no idea what it is, why it's happening... I am absolutely clueless.

I got my machine in India.

If you need any other information please tell me?

All i'm looking for is to know what it is, and how to fix it.

Can i fix it myself? should i send it to dell?

Any help whatsoever...

Thanks,

Aboe123

June 5th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

As per the damage which happened in your system does not get covered under the normal warranty.so

If you have accidental damage warranty in your system then you can contact Indian technical support because the system was purchased from India.

Thanks

Varun

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 5th, 2012 14:00

At a minimum, remove the keyboard carefully - if you're lucky, nothing seeped under it and you may just need to replace the keyboard.

If there was damage underneath, it's likely the system board that's the problem, but replace the keyboard first.  

June 7th, 2012 07:00

Wow.  You have the exact same laptop as I do.  That's really cool.

So what kind of orange juice was it?  Was it the stuff from concentrate?  Because that stuff can be really nasty! :emotion-3:

Seriously, you need to take apart your keyboard and try to clean it - but using any kind of liquid could cause a short of the circuitry.  Look at

for how to repair/replace the keyboard.

There is a great video on youtube for replacing your keyboard:

Note that it would probably be safer to just replace the keyboard.  Check with Dell tech-support if there is anyway to get it repaired under your warranty. They may feel sorry for you.

No Events found!