Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2009 05:00

Dell XPS M1330 - Display Issues (Too dim)

Says it all in the title. I woke up one morning, and found my screen very dark. I adjusted the brightness (Fn + ^ ) It increases a little bit, I tried both ways (decreased and increased) , it increases a little bit, and decreased a little, but mainly stayed dark. Any solutions?..... My laptop display has been working fine for 2 years, until today. What a mockery.

Thanks in advance.  (Also i did not drop, or damage the laptop in any way, *unless leaving your laptop off - was part of 'accidental damage'*:emotion-5:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the image is OK on an external monitor, the backlight or inverter has failed - contact an LCD repair shop. 

If the image is dark externally as well, chances are the video chip has failed.  If it's nVidia, Dell extended the warranty on the chip by one year beyond whatever warranty you bought with the system - if you had a 1-year warranty and it's less than two years old, see below.  Otherwise, you'll have a painful choice - a $400-500 mainboard replacement or a new system.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The repair should be no more than $100-150.

611 Posts

June 24th, 2009 06:00

well Dell - Sigh, great customer service but *** products. 

The M1330 is one of the best notebooks ever.  Sorry you are having a problem but electronic products can fail.  Dell makes some great products and the M1330 is one of the best!

January 26th, 2010 15:00

can you explain why the backlight only comes on when its unplugged, when it should be on when its plugged in?

28 Posts

March 1st, 2010 02:00

Before you spend loads of time and money, take a look at the brightness settings in the BIOS.  Mine was set too low.

1 Message

September 24th, 2010 21:00

This is the correct answer!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 10th, 2012 00:00

I ran into exactly the same problem. I was using my laptop for over a year and then all of the sudden it became too dim and changing brightness with Fn button wouldn't help much. I tried bunch of different settings, but I couldn't find a problem. I noticed that if I log off and then log in the brightness goes back to normal, but if you don't use a computer for couple minutes it would dim again. It was driving me crazy.

Eventually I was able to figure it out. It appeared that Facial Recognition (FastAccess) program has a Power Saving option and it was causing these problems. I just turned it off and everything went to normal. I have no idea why it started happening all of a sudden. I suspect that this is a new feature which came in the latest update for FastAccess.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about: http://keapr.com/mgw

July 24th, 2015 12:00

I had issues with the display on this laptop (dim screen, image over to one side, no image, etc). At first I thought it could be static or grounding issues, since the original charger is grounded and I was using a non grounded one. Then I tried reflashing the BIOS firmware. I had A15 already, but it allows you to reflash A15 over A15. After flashing the issues seem to have gone away...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0640G

Regards.

No Events found!