Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 15th, 2009 16:00

Dell XPS M1530 - Has anyone had any problems with it?

I currently have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. It is coming up to its end of year warranty in a couple of weeks. Now I am just depending weather its worth extending the warranty or not. So I would like to ask anyone who has had this laptop has anything gona wrong with after the year?

Basically this laptop is where I will do my gaming or what not so it will be used for a good 5 hours sometimes with the temps at 80 etc. And I am just wondering what the build quality is like and weather I may get a dry solder or anything down the line.

And as this laptop costed a lot I would hate for it to break and not be fixeable.

So please just tell me if you have this laptop if you have ever had any problems after the first year or even in the first year.

Thank you.

September 15th, 2009 17:00

I have 5 Dell computers. One is the M1530. It hasn't had any problems at all. My XPS 600 has/had 4 year warranty on it  (next business day service) I have a year left on the warranty. It has been 2 weeks and still no solution from Dell on the MB problems. No parts available. They said they are going to send me another computer but no call yet to confirm what they are going to send or when. Last I heard somewhere around 7 to 10 business days before they even ship it. In case you didn't notice I'm a bit disappointed in Dell. I personally wouldn't buy their warranty as it may not be any good. They are struggling like everyone else. I'll try to update when i hear something. Be careful where you spend your money. Dell might not be around much longer.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 15th, 2009 17:00

Facts:  Somewhere between one in five and one in four notebooks will have a major hardware failure within the first three years - regardless of brands.  All notebooks are made by the same small pool of companies (two of which make over 3/4 of all notebooks) from the same components.

The M1530 used nVidia chips known to be of faulty design.  There IS a 1-year extended warranty on just the video chip - and you really have no way of knowing whether yours is one of the faulty design or a newer, supposedly fixed design.

If the video chip does fail post-warranty, you must replace a system board - easily $500+ in repair.   Your heavy gaming will increase the chances of failure across the board.

Translation:  if you're not comfortable with a $500 repair post-warranty, extend the warranty before it expires.

315 Posts

September 15th, 2009 22:00

:^/ A few things to bear in mind: when a new computer runs flawlessly out of the box, and for years on end, the owner doesn't prowl through the Internet searching for tech support message boards so that he can share his delight with others.  Instead, such boards are disporportionately populated by folks with less satisfactory experiences.

;^) Having said that, my XPS M1210 has proven most satisfactory, by and large, though I did join the foum here to ask questions.

I purchased my laptop used, so I knew that it had withstood the test of time.  The shop that sold it allows a week for returns, which is ample time for testing out all of the details before deciding whether to keep it or return it.  To me, this is preferable to any warranty that new hardware may have.  Also, new computer hardware depreciates in value faster than anything else does, even automobiles. 

My advice? Buy used, and check everything, or have it checked by someone you trust better than yourself to know what he's looking at.

October 5th, 2009 08:00

Been over a month (9-01-09). Dell has offered to give me a xps 630 to replace my defective xps 600 (purchased 6-15-06 for $3900with full 4 yr warranty). I see it's in production (since 9-28) but who knows how long that will be b4 it's shipped. My xps 600 had 2 nvidia 512 mb 7900 gtx sli cards in it (around $700 added for the upgrade). The new one has 1 512 mb 9800 gt sli card. I spent hours on online chat and phone convo's explaining that after a month of different explanations and bs from Dell that I wasn't inclined to except one card to replace the 2 that I had. Gt series is nothing compared to the gtx series. 7900 series to 9800 series is much better but gt is not the same features and performance as the gtx. Not my fault they didn't keep enough parts to replace those they warrantied. I paid top dollar for the cards and the warranty. I held my ground and they agreed to give me 2 9800 gtx cards (wow $45 dollars difference). We'll see if they follow thru.

Dell over all has been great up to this point (prior to 9-1-09). When I ordered my computer in 06, it took 4 days from order to my front door. The same experience with the one I bought in 07 and 08 (xps 410's) My son's (xps 630) I got this last xmas took 3 weeks. Something probably related to the economy I would figure. Everyone is struggling thru this.

I have always received excellent service. I feel since they changed the XPS preffered tech support to overseas that they people just read a screen and have a clip board on the screen to provide answers to your questions. The answers I received to my questions always had the same text. (contacted Dell probably close to 15 times so far) They are quickly overwelmed with even my limited expertise on computers. Times are changing and I don't know that any other computer brand is any better. Guess the time is here to build my own.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

I have a XPS M1330 laptop which is about 20 months old, I've had problems with the battery which I had to replace. However the laptop stopped working yseterday and keeps on blowing the fuse in the adapter. I've been told that it could be one of the sytem boards....sounds expensive.

Which I had extended the warranty.

1 Message

November 11th, 2011 14:00

Teek 22 - Buy the extended warranty.  Motherboard failed on my XPS M1530 two months past the 3 year warranty!  Not worth repairing. That was my 5th and last Dell !!    Anyone want two power bricks and cords for free?    email me offline at  <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> Located Southern Michigan   Tom

No Events found!