Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

July 7th, 2012 10:00

Dell XPS M1730 - No Boot

My Dell XPS M1730 has decided not to boot. I hit the power button and the cover LED's come up, the Keyboard lights up and you can hear the Rom Drive check itself, but that's it. The screen doesn't even flash. The fans on the bottom don't even start spinning. Am I safe to assume that the motherboard has crashed?

46 Posts

July 7th, 2012 13:00

Hi Rokkaholik

Welcome to the Dell community.

We regret the fact that your system is not booting to windows. If the LED’s are coming up on the system, that means the system is getting power but since the screen is not flashing,it could be a no video concern on the system. I would like some findings from your side:

• Is there any kind of beep noise from the system

• What are the flash code for the keyboard LED’s  ( solid or flashing LED’s )

• if there is any external monitor available with you, then try connecting it to the system and check if you get any display     on the external screen

Please revert back with your observation.

Regards,

Sumer

Dell | Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com

27 Posts

July 7th, 2012 15:00

It won't do a thing without the memory. It knows right away there's no memory. The power light comes on, and the paddlock with the 9 in it stay lit, but the paddlock looking symbol with the A in it flashes along with the paddlock symbol with the down arrow.

Also, with the power supply plugged in, the battery is still not charging.

When plugged in and the power button is pushed, the keyboard lights up, the Rom drive cycles and the LED's on the lid light up and that's it. There's no fan or anything else. After a minute or so, there's 2 beeps and that's it.

I've even switched out the memory and no change. The hard drive has been removed and the battery has been removed.  

46 Posts

July 9th, 2012 20:00

Hi Rokkaholik

Welcome to the Dell community.

Thank you for providing the details about your system. The LED status on your system suggests that the memory is not detected by the system. Please try the follow steps and see if the problem is fixed

• Install the memory  module(s)

• Reseat the memory module(s)

• Replace the memory module(s)

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then the possibility is a bad motherboard as the system is not even charging.

Please revert back with your observation.

Regards,

Sumer

Dell | Social Outreach Professional

27 Posts

July 16th, 2012 16:00

Replaced the motherboard today... Same issues.

Could it be the actual CPU (T9500) or the Video Card (9800M) that could be keeping the system from powering up?

27 Posts

July 16th, 2012 18:00

I think I found the problem. The 9800m video card has a fried diode on the circuit board. I can't fix that. Looks like I'll be surfing ebay for a used one

49 Posts

July 16th, 2012 20:00

We can never be to careful these days. Buying a new one would be better though much expensive.

27 Posts

July 17th, 2012 20:00

I wouldn't go with a 9800... They're still $28+

This laptop wasn't used for mych gaming anyway. I found a 8700GT for $140

27 Posts

July 18th, 2012 17:00

oops... $280+

27 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 15:00

I got the video card and it does power up now, but It's VERY slow at boot (there's no hard drive in it right now). I click F2 to get to BIOS, but the progress bar on the DELL logo gets to appx 80% and sits there forever. Then I get this message

AC Power Adapter Wattage And Type Cannot Be Determined

The Battery May Not Charge

The System Will Adjust The Performance To Match The Power Available

Please Connect A Dell 230w AC Adapter Or Greater For The Best System Performance

I have 2 motherboards here and it does this with either of them installed. I also just put in a new battery just in case and still the same slow boot and message.

The laptop DOES power on with NO battery installed, so I know the charger works. The laptop screen DOES dim when the AC power is unplugged. Is the charger possibly bad or not sending enough juice?

No Events found!