Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2015 13:00

Dell XPS12 Messed up during A08 BIOS update

Hi all, yesterday I tried to update my Dell XPS12 (9Q33 mid 2013) BIOS to the last version (A08). During the installation, the laptop remained stuck in "EC programming" at 50%..I waited two hours but nothing changed and my PC was unusable: completely blocked, no keyboard,no touch and even the windows clock was blocked. 

So, as I read in a lot of BIOS-related threads, I removed the AC adaptor and let it discharge completely..some users resolved with this workaround, and their PC's worked well after.

Unfortunately, my XPS12 doesn't want to power up anymore..I also tried to put the .hdr file of the BIOS in a USB stick and tried to power up with "end" button pressed. It powers up and the fans are working, but nothing happens then..Am I using the wrong procedure to repair the BIOS?

Thanks in advance,

Fabio

1.8K Posts

May 11th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Are you seeing anything at all on that system?  Nothing on the screen at all?  What about any beeps coming out of the system?   Check out this support article for the XPS 12 and see if it helps you at all.  

Unfortunately, you've listed all the things that I can think of offhand to try to get the system working again.  But there may be something in the article linked above that may be able to help.  Is your system still under the original Dell support warranty?   I'm assuming it's not or you would probably be calling Support already.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.

Todd

19 Posts

May 12th, 2015 01:00

Hi,  I can't see or hear anything except of the fans, when I turn on it with the "end" button procedure. Without it I can't turn it on. Regarding the beeps, my xps12 never beeped also when it was working fine.

Btw,I can not believe that there is no provision for an emergency procedure to reinstall or restore the BIOS in case of problems ..

1.8K Posts

May 12th, 2015 12:00

Hi,  I can't see or hear anything except of the fans, when I turn on it with the "end" button procedure. Without it I can't turn it on. Regarding the beeps, my xps12 never beeped also when it was working fine.

Btw,I can not believe that there is no provision for an emergency procedure to reinstall or restore the BIOS in case of problems ..

The beeps should be happening when there is an error, so you wouldn't have heard them previously.  I am trying to see if there are any other things that it turns out to be instead of the BIOS directly.

Todd

No Events found!