Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2016 11:00

Dell diagnostics produced Error 2000-0142 during self test for HDD.

Hi

For last couple of weeks I'm having trouble with my laptop, e.g. inaccessibility to folders and sudden hangup. So today I ran DELL Diagnostics and it produced error code 2000-0142  (I attached a screenshot of it). I searched the community and learned that this message means that my laptop HDD is failing!! What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 12:00

Hello Terry

Thank you for your response. The model of my laptop is DELL 5537. I upgraded my OS to windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 12:00

It is likely that the hard drive failed and it will need to be replaced and Windows reinstalled on the notebook.  If the system is under warranty contact Dell technical support in the US and request that the hard drive be replaced and if you don't have restore media, request restore media.

If you are in the US I can help you directly, and I will be sending you a friendship request.  In the meantime please reply with the model of notebook, and what version of Windows that you have installed. 

TB

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 13:00

Another thing is, though I purchased this laptop from US but later I transferred it to INDIA. 

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 18:00

Transferring warranty coverage requires:

1.  That the model is sold in India (if it's not, the warranty won't transfer

2.  That you have (or do ) upgrade to an onsite service plan.  This is at extra cost - the basic 12-month warranty cannot be transferred.

It will cost you far more to upgrade the warranty to transfer it than the cost of a hard drive, if that's a consideration.

No Events found!