Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

July 24th, 2016 10:00

Dell driver does not match version number

When using Dell System Detect to install drivers it finds the "Intel Serial I/O" driver needs updated. The driver shown is this one, "Version 30.100.1519.7, A00", updated 12 Jan 2016, but when I download the EXE and extract it, all of the .inf files show version "30.63.1519.07", from 04 May 2015 instead.

So it looks like the wrong version is posted, or at least it's mislabeled; is there any other place I can get the "correct" driver? The link URL also has the .100. version number, so it's not like they just forgot to update the link.

I'm having issues with using a docking station and so I'm trying to ensure all drivers are at the latest version, but this one keeps showing up.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2016 14:00

I wish I'd done what you did BEFORE contacting Dell.  Dell's tech wasted two hours of my time uninstalling and reinstalling things without accomplishing the update.  I told him that I thought it was a version number error on Dell's part, but, of course, he insisted that couldn't be so.  I'll check Intel/Lenovo/HP for updates.  Yes, I know that the party line is that XYZ "manufacturer" customizes Intel's hardware and users should only install drivers from the company site, but I've rarely had an issue with using non-Dell Intel drivers.

63 Posts

July 30th, 2016 01:00

Same problem here.  Had this problem for a long time where Intel Serial IO - appears to be installed with the correct version but Dell Command - Update - says I need to update my Serial IO driver.  It is the same version!

Dell tech support's solutions was to tell me to delete Dell Command - Update.  Disappointing that was the best they could come up with.  Delete the update software so I can't be reminded that there is a problem.

So I think I have the right IO drive but Dell's own updater software continues to tell me to update it. 

After uninstalling the entire IO device through Device Manager and reinstalling . . . I still get the same message that I need to update the software.   Annoying.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2016 07:00

Lenovo explains it more clearly.  After applying the update "63" will still show in device manager, but the update will apply to the control panel for the device.  It annoys me too that Dell's updater software is misconfigured.

On a different note, I had a similar issue with the Intel Management Engine not showing the proper revision.  I pulled an update directly from Intel to address this.

Shoddy work by Dell and poor training of its techs.

No Events found!