Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2013 09:00

Dell inspiron 15R touchscreen stopped working.

I've had my laptop for about a week now and the touch screen has stopped working last night. The last time I used it I turned it on sleep mode, then when I came back home, it wasn't working anymore. I tried calibrating it and running the troubleshooter, but nothing has helped.

2K Posts

June 14th, 2013 14:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

It is unfortunate that the touchscreen is not working. Request you to try following the below steps and check if it works:

(1) Move the mouse pointer to the top right corner and click on search.

(2) Now type device in the search box, select settings and hit enter.

(3) On the left side device manager appears, click and open it.

(4) In the device manager screen, double click human Interface device and select touchscreen drivers.

(5) Now right click on it and select uninstall.

(6) Now restart the computer and check if the touchscreen works.

If the issue still persists then the computer needs to be refreshed. You may use the below link for information on refresh:

http://bit.ly/TLZ9mS (read through Refresh your PC without affecting your files)

Now check if the issue is fixed. If not, then do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and let you know what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

Note: Please backup your files before attempting this.

10 Posts

June 14th, 2013 14:00

I went to the human interface drivers and their was no touchscreen file to uninstall.

2K Posts

June 14th, 2013 16:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

Request you to expand all the option available in device manager and send me a screenshot of the same. I will then suggest what needs to be done.

10 Posts

June 14th, 2013 22:00

How can I send you a screenshot? I know how to take one and save it, but how can I send it to you?

2K Posts

June 17th, 2013 12:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

Please take a screenshot of the device manager after expanding all the options by hitting the print screen key. Once this is done type your response in the below block and click on “Use rich formatting option. Now select Insert image option, make sure width and height are equal and then browse and attach the picture.

10 Posts

June 17th, 2013 16:00

2K Posts

June 17th, 2013 18:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

Touchscreen drivers are native in windows 8 operating system which means the drivers are in built. However it is now absent in the computer. Hence, request you to use the below link and do a clean reinstall which might help:

http://bit.ly/12HHYEf

Note: Please backup the data on the computer before attempting this.

Do reply with your findings.

10 Posts

June 19th, 2013 06:00

I wasn't able to follow the directions on there because my new laptop didn't come with a disc for the operating system. But, what I did do was try to refresh my computer. Then I reset it clearing all the info and still it is not working.

10 Posts

June 19th, 2013 17:00

Also, my human interface driver isn't showing up anymore.

10 Posts

June 20th, 2013 15:00

Alright, I downloaded that, unzipped the file, but it said the update is already downloaded and there is a second file that is full of files. What do I do now?

1.8K Posts

June 20th, 2013 15:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

Thank you for your reply and for providng an update on the status. I suggest you to download and install the Hotfix from Microsoft, that fixes issues with touchscreen when Windows 8 fastboot is enabled from the following link:
http://bit.ly/SxqapR

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

1.8K Posts

June 21st, 2013 18:00

Hi fritzbitz93,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to provide a screenshot of the error message, so that I can check the details and also the information requested below via Private Message:

1. System Service Tag:
2. Name on the account:
3. Phone Number:
4. E-mail address:
5. Shipping Address:

To send a Private Message, click on my name in Blue and then on "Start Conversation".

1 Message

May 22nd, 2014 08:00

Hi Fritzbitz93.

I fixed my dell's touchscreen by just shutting down the laptop and removing the battery and power source and holding the power button for 10+ seconds to completely clear all power from my laptop, with afterwards fixed the problem

1 Message

May 23rd, 2014 11:00

I've had the same issue for about three days. I got my Dell Inspiron 15r as a Christmas gift, and the touchscreen just stopped working 3 days ago. I then started researching and realized it worked again. Then I saw it didn't work again. Today I just went to Device Manager, clicked in the View tab and selected Show hidden devices option. In the Human Interface Device you might now see the drivers that had disappeared. If you see the same I did, then you may have the same problem.

Solution:

I saw a post in an HP community forum, they had the same problem and someone posted a solution telling there is a micro-usb connection from the touchscreen to the LCD board and it gets loose easily. The solution and explanation is here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/34651-hardware-fix-no-touch-unknown-usb-error.html#post196231

In case you don't believe me, (I wouldn't believe myself) I just gave a little bump to the screen edges and the touchscreen magically worked again.  

If you want to repair this yourself, then you might want to learn how to remove the LCD screen correctly, there is a post telling how here: http://blog.parts-people.com/2014/03/12/dell-inspiron-15-3521-5521-lcd-touchscreen-display-assembly-removal-and-installation/

If you don't want to risk your computer, just tell a technician the problem and tell it to glue that connection so it doesn't get loose again. 

2 Posts

June 14th, 2014 08:00

This worked for me...

(http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%208%20RTM/nosp/Fix415636/9200/free/454040_intl_x64_zip.exe)

Just download the hotfix, install, restart and enjoy :) 

No Events found!